Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

i just can not figure this out!

this looks like a simple, easy pattern for booties, but i can not get past the first row. no matter how many times i restart, i still end up with 2 ch sts at the end where you put 7 dc in the last chain.

Chain 16 (18)

Round 1: DC in 4th ch from hook and in each of the next 11 (13) chs. Work 7 DC in last
    ch. Working down opposite side of chain, work 1 DC in each of the next 12 (14) chs. Join
    with slip stitch to top of ch 3. DO NOT TURN.

i count 4 chs from the hook, work 11 dc and have 2 st in the chain, instead of 1, left, no matter what i do. the only thing i haven't done is skip a ch st to put the 7 dc in the last st. when i add up the stitches from the directions, it all works, 4+11= 15, should be 1 chain left to work in...i always have 2.
    what the heck am i doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you're "supposed" to skip a chain at the end of the row? Have you tried that to see how it comes out?

Shelley

3. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Maybe you're "supposed" to skip a chain at the end of the row? Have you tried that to see how it comes out?

Shelley
    no, i figured it would have said to skip...what i really can't figure out is how you chain 16 and even though the stitch count works out in my head, i still have an extra stitch (chain)...how's that happen??? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cheri54 View Post
    this looks like a simple, easy pattern for booties, but i can not get past the first row. no matter how many times i restart, i still end up with 2 ch sts at the end where you put 7 dc in the last chain.

Chain 16 (18)

Round 1: DC in 4th ch from hook and in each of the next 11 (13) chs. Work 7 DC in last
    ch. Working down opposite side of chain, work 1 DC in each of the next 12 (14) chs. Join

i count 4 chs from the hook, work 11 dc and have 2 st in the chain, instead of 1, left, no matter what i do. the only thing i haven't done is skip a ch st to put the 7 dc in the last st. when i add up the stitches from the directions, it all works, 4+11= 15, should be 1 chain left to work in...i always have 2.
    I get the same results as you, Cherie, Two chains left.! Shelley may have nailed it....
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

6. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cheri,
    I just followed your instructions. It worked out. You ch 16 or 18 depending on the size you want. I just chained 16 and then dc in the 4th ch from hook and in the next 11 sts. Are you starting in the 4th ch from the hook? I went around and then when it says to join in the top of ch 3 I wondered what ch 3 but I saw 3 ch at the beg. and realized that the 1st 3 chains that you skip are the 3 chains. After you chain the 16, when dc in the 4th ch from hook, you count the chain that the working yarn goes through as the 1st ch that you skip. I ch the 16 again and thought I was supposed to skip the ch the the working yarn was through but that didn't work out so I took the other one apart and saw what I did and the ch with the working yarn through is the 1st ch that you skip when you are skipping the 3 ch and dc in the 4th ch.

8. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cherie,
    Make sure that you are chaining 16 or 18 and not 17. I don't see how you had 2 chains left. If you're chaining 18, you dc in each of the next 13 stitches not 11 stitches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    I get the same results as you, Cherie, Two chains left.! Shelley may have nailed it....

DON't count the hook as the first chain. LOL... that's the trap I fell into! But I have it right now.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

11. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cheri54 View Post

Chain 16 (18)

Looks like you have help with this problem but check THIS out everyone!! Maybe Matilda: How to Get Rid of Extra Chains from Foundation Chain (Crochet)

13. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Cheri,
    I just followed your instructions. It worked out. You ch 16 or 18 depending on the size you want. I just chained 16 and then dc in the 4th ch from hook and in the next 11 sts. Are you starting in the 4th ch from the hook? I went around and then when it says to join in the top of ch 3 I wondered what ch 3 but I saw 3 ch at the beg. and realized that the 1st 3 chains that you skip are the 3 chains. After you chain the 16, when dc in the 4th ch from hook, you count the chain that the working yarn goes through as the 1st ch that you skip. I ch the 16 again and thought I was supposed to skip the ch the the working yarn was through but that didn't work out so I took the other one apart and saw what I did and the ch with the working yarn through is the 1st ch that you skip when you are skipping the 3 ch and dc in the 4th ch.
    thanks for helping...i have 3 of these going, after starting over more than half a dozen times, and finally got one of them to work with the right amount of stitches! i have not changed anything about what i was doing, same 16 chains, same dc in the 4th chain from hook, but this time it worked...don't know why...i just hope i can do it twice...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Cherie,
    Make sure that you are chaining 16 or 18 and not 17. I don't see how you had 2 chains left. If you're chaining 18, you dc in each of the next 13 stitches not 11 stitches.
    i don't know how it happened either, but out of many times trying, i finally have one that works. i have 3 going right now in different colors trying to figure out what was wrong. still don't know as i did everything the same on each. my head doesn't always comprehend things right, but maybe i will be able to get 2 right so i'll have a pair of booties when i'm done...lol