Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

? for those of you who make shrugs

i've never made a shrug before, but it seems like making an afghan that you fold and seam the sides to create an opening for your arms... is that about it? i've found some patterns that are all done in sc, but i want to do dc's as i feel like i get done quicker...lol i have some simply soft by caron that i'll try using, hoping that the drape will be ok.
    the daughter i want to make this for is very busty and i'm kinda worried that it'll be too big everywhere else to get it to fit around her bust. any suggestions?

2. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hi cheri54 I made this one for myself is all in DC it came out very nice and comfy, it drappes very well and because I am not slim i was impressed by the looks of it I am very happy hope you like the idea -

4. Thanks cheri54, Carynjoyb thanked for this post
    Likes lehmankm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Your description of a shrug was spot on! I am short and not thin and I like how my shrug drapes and can be wrapped a bit if it is chilly. DCs should be fine in my opinion. Happy Hooking!

6. Thanks alexsmom51@yahoo.com, cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsmom51@yahoo.com View Post
    Hi cheri54 I made this one for myself is all in DC it came out very nice and comfy, it drappes very well and because I am not slim i was impressed by the looks of it I am very happy hope you like the idea -
    What yarn did you use, the Homespun or another bulky. This Homespun is killing my hands, I might be froggin here shortly, lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any yarn at all will work for this shrug. Just follow the dimensions included in the pattern. I've made this pattern several times, once a little smaller for a very thin friend and once a bit larger for another friend. I have even added some length to the sleeves after assembly.

Try using a DC weight print yarn and a DC weight solid yarn in one of the colors to compliment the print. Crochet both yarns together as if using a bulky weight yarn. The friend who got this one gets so many compliments I almost want to steal it back from her. LOL

9. Likes Carynjoyb, cheri54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARCREATES View Post
    Any yarn at all will work for this shrug. Just follow the dimensions included in the pattern. I've made this pattern several times, once a little smaller for a very thin friend and once a bit larger for another friend. I have even added some length to the sleeves after assembly.

Try using a DC weight print yarn and a DC weight solid yarn in one of the colors to compliment the print. Crochet both yarns together as if using a bulky weight yarn. The friend who got this one gets so many compliments I almost want to steal it back from her. LOL
    Hi Char!! #3 DK, Double Knit, is what you mean, right, maybe in a dc stitch? You're right tho, you can use worsted #4 or any yarn as long as you adjust the gauge for the yarn type so it will fit good.
    But based on the stitch and the yarn weight, along with your body size, be careful to not make it look like you're wearing a blanket! I like light weight #2 or #3 best for garments myself.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-06-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Great Pattern, Great Advice...Thanks All

I am doing this shrug in a Bernat Softee Baby pink and gray yarn. So far it looks good. Very soft and springing feeling. For my grand daughter 2nd grade so is going to be smaller of course. Also will be much lighter also (we live in Florida) so that is a good thing, first week in November and it is 86 degrees out. Maybe she will be able to wear it in January (in the evening), or maybe when she goes North to visit other relatives. Oh well, a little something extra under the Xmas tree. Just waiting for her mother to get her measurements to me so I can finish. I did mine double crochet, faster and not as heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna go with a #3 DK weight most likely unless I can find a a really fine med 4 worsted. No bulk on tops for me!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you mean DK weight, #3, right?! That's my very favorite!! Thx, I knew any weight would work on this, I just never use bulky to wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    I guess you mean DK weight, #3, right?! That's my very favorite!! Thx, I knew any weight would work on this, I just never use bulky to wear.
    Sorry. Yes DK weight. Any weight yarn at all will work from bulky all the way down to sock yarn. BTW, any pattern will work too. Just make the rectangle the size noted in the pattern. I just finished one using the "twisted shells" pattern with an H hook for a friend. For a larger person just make the rectangle a bit wider. For a shorter person make it a bit shorter. I've also added sleeves after the rectangle is folded and the sides sewed up.

Char