Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Been There/Done That!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cheri54 View Post
    i've never made a shrug before, but it seems like making an afghan that you fold and seam the sides to create an opening for your arms... is that about it? i've found some patterns that are all done in sc, but i want to do dc's as i feel like i get done quicker...lol i have some simply soft by caron that i'll try using, hoping that the drape will be ok.
    the daughter i want to make this for is very busty and i'm kinda worried that it'll be too big everywhere else to get it to fit around her bust. any suggestions?
    Yes, that's it Cheri54 It's a rectangle folded like a diamond shape and stitched up the sides to a certain point that leaves a space open for the arms to go thru that looks like you made a type of sleeve! You can measure the length of the opening to me arm holes and make them tight or loose. They are somewhat open in the front so as to not need to be fitted across the breast, but you can easily adjust that part to be as you like, more open or less open, and change the size of the rectangle. hold it around the body to see if you want to change the size of it, it's no big deal!

Try one of these Lion Brand shrugs if you like them that have both written pattern AND videos by Yolanda Soto Lopez, that way you'll know how to make it and it's really easy! She uses Homespun on one I know, but you can use any chunky 5 weight to get this approx fit, or dbl strand some worsted weight to make it chunky. You can do dbl crochet whether she does or not, but I think she does, just make sure it's the size you need by changing the # of rows if necessary caused by a stitch type change. Measure the rectangle around the body to be sure yo like how much it covers or doesn't cover the front of the body and make it bigger or smaller by the measurement & looks of it. There are other videos and written patterns of these type of shrugs and lots of them on Ravelry too. Have fun!!

Ravelry: Simple Crochet Shrug #90689 pattern by Lion Brand Yarn ex of other ppl's version of this shrug

http://www.lionbrand.com/printablePatterns/90689AD.pdf

Yolanda's other LB shrug pattern & video: (this pattern shows a rectangular diagram on how it should look)

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0230AD.html

Page of other LB shrugs: http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/pat...=0&Go.y=0&sT=1

You'll have to be logged in to LB for some of these patterns to come up. Also check out this pattern by Woolpedia's shrug, her written pattern is a couple of $$ but the video is free. also, her videos a re so good she wouldn't even need to talk for you to follow them, she's German but speaks English very well:

The Patter Family shrug with thinner yarn, similar to a type of filet crochet, I like this stitch look... but it will take longer to make in thin yarn!!

Love Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsmom51@yahoo.com View Post
    Hi cheri54 I made this one for myself is all in DC it came out very nice and comfy, it drappes very well and because I am not slim i was impressed by the looks of it I am very happy hope you like the idea -
    Everyone loves this one, I posted Ravelry pics of a lot of people's versions of it on my other post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    What yarn did you use, the Homespun or another bulky. This Homespun is killing my hands, I might be froggin here shortly, lol!
    I did use Homespun, I like the way it came out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mttoni View Post
    I just printed this pattern and I'm totally making this! I may be screaming for help in a week or so... I cannot tell you all how many clothing things I have started (including dog sweaters!) and I get about 1/2 done, make a BAD mistake, and then I end up messing it up and take it all back out. My family just shakes their head when they see me rolling up a yarn ball! LOL Cheers! Toni
    You can do it, no problem. It's a rectangle folded into a diamond and you determine how open or closed in the front you want it to be by the size of your rectangle. It's easy, and any chunky 5 weight or even worsted weight 1 or 2 strands will do. I love Homespun and do use it, I just have to limit my periods of time working with it.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-06-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARCREATES View Post
    Any yarn at all will work for this shrug. Just follow the dimensions included in the pattern. I've made this pattern several times, once a little smaller for a very thin friend and once a bit larger for another friend. I have even added some length to the sleeves after assembly.

Try using a DC weight print yarn and a DC weight solid yarn in one of the colors to compliment the print. Crochet both yarns together as if using a bulky weight yarn. The friend who got this one gets so many compliments I almost want to steal it back from her. LOL
    Hi Char!! #3 DK, Double Knit, is what you mean, right, maybe in a dc stitch? You're right tho, you can use worsted #4 or any yarn as long as you adjust the gauge for the yarn type so it will fit good.
    But based on the stitch and the yarn weight, along with your body size, be careful to not make it look like you're wearing a blanket! I like light weight #2 or #3 best for garments myself.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-06-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Great Pattern, Great Advice...Thanks All

I am doing this shrug in a Bernat Softee Baby pink and gray yarn. So far it looks good. Very soft and springing feeling. For my grand daughter 2nd grade so is going to be smaller of course. Also will be much lighter also (we live in Florida) so that is a good thing, first week in November and it is 86 degrees out. Maybe she will be able to wear it in January (in the evening), or maybe when she goes North to visit other relatives. Oh well, a little something extra under the Xmas tree. Just waiting for her mother to get her measurements to me so I can finish. I did mine double crochet, faster and not as heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Love, Love, Love all these "How To" Video's

Love, Love, Love all these "How To" Video's. Have been a (Ton) of projects that I have started, then stopped (quit) because I got stuck. Sometimes patterns can become (really) confusing and I just SPAZ out. Think I might start this second shrug as well. I have some great yarn, bought it awhile ago (loved the color), just didn't have anything in mind at the time. This blue shrug of Susan's seems perfect. It's a Red Heart Soft (TEAL). Got a lot of baby blankets (done ?) need to sew in ends on all (been avoiding), for my GREAT Grand Daughter (1 month).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsmom51@yahoo.com View Post
    I used the Homespun and it draped very nice but i suppose any soft bulky yarn will work.
    That homespun is one of the most amazing yarns I've ever felt, it's like air, lol, and I love it. Sometimes it causes me a lot of extra pain but I just have to back off for a day or two or just don't do too much at one sitting. I love everything else about it, but I've had start working with lighter weight yarns and I love that too!! It's the best for garments like tops. I like Super Soft Caron's or RH for some cover-up pieces too.

10. Likes alexsmom51@yahoo.com, lehmankm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love making shrugs! I designed one myself, it is mostly dc with puff stitches ( I have made them without the puffs too). I have made over a dozen for some ladies in the nursing home and they love them.

12. Thanks lehmankm thanked for this post
    Likes alexsmom51@yahoo.com liked this post