Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: ponchos

Post Thanks / Like

ponchos

is it me or do I see on the internet an increase this year of crocheted ponchos? Are ponchos a trend this spring? The were once very popular when I was a kid in the 1970s but seem to be making a big come back this season. Your thoughts.....
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    is it me or do I see on the internet an increase this year of crocheted ponchos? Are ponchos a trend this spring? The were once very popular when I was a kid in the 1970s but seem to be making a big come back this season. Your thoughts.....
    NO doubt about it, Teri, all the fb groups are making basically the same pattern, the one with the big mock turtle cowl neck with V stitch granny style to make them up fast. That hot thick cowl neck is too much for me, I could never wear it, and I don't want a granny stitch style in it either. I want something different and more 'my age' classy and soft, using a soft yarn, not 4 ply worsted weight,. I remember a time when EVERYone had a poncho in the late 60's-early 70's! I was born in 57. They're loving them now tho and I don't blame them, there's just only so many things I want to re-live and that stye poncho isn't one of them!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-05-2015 at 08:31 AM.

3. Likes Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teri, I've noticed an increase in popularity for ponchos, too. I think it may be because it's easy to run out the door and grabbing a poncho instead of taking the time to "bulk up" and bundling up like a snowman, lol! I never liked driving with tons of clothes on, either, and always had the luxury of driving small European 2-seater cars with excellent heaters. I always felt that I wanted full range of arm movement when slipping and sliding on ice and snow. You don't have that wearing bulky jackets and coats. And ponchos are fun!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    NO doubt about it, Teri, all the fb groups are making basically the same pattern, the one with the big mock turtle cowl neck with V stitch granny style to make them up fast. I remember a time when EVERYone had a poncho in the late 60's-early 70's! I was born in 57. They're loving them!
    ohhh yess you are so right about everyone having a poncho in the 60s and early 70s...I was born in 1955...I ordered a beautiful pattern today and some cotton to make a really different one with a Native American flare...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    Teri, I've noticed an increase in popularity for ponchos, too. I think it may be because it's easy to run out the door and grabbing a poncho instead of taking the time to "bulk up" and bundling up like a snowman, lol! I never liked driving with tons of clothes on, either, and always had the luxury of driving small European 2-seater cars with excellent heaters. I always felt that I wanted full range of arm movement when slipping and sliding on ice and snow. You don't have that wearing bulky jackets and coats. And ponchos are fun!
    Hahah...Poincianna ...you are right about bulking up ...I get sick of putting on all these clothes I have to put on...I live in Central NY State ....It initially snows just before Halloween with substantial snow around Thanksgiving and it stays white until April!! I sure get tired of putting on coats and jackets LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    ponchos-poncho-brown-beautiful-jpg

I bought the pattern for this one and ordered cotton in brown and tan...I am excited to do this...what do you think?

8. Likes karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, Teri, that is a gorgeous poncho pattern. Looks like it would be fun to wear!

10. Likes Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a gorgeous poncho, Teri, I love it! And yes, I agree with the others in saying that ponchos are definitely making a comeback.

Shelley

12. Likes Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sent the picture to my daughter at college and she loves it too...she is only 21 but a definite '60s child since she was in HAIR (the musical) this past summer.....LOL....she is a theater major/dance minor in college and wears everything I make for her...she loves home crafted wearables....so I think I may have to make 2 of these LOL

Post Thanks / Like

very nice

ponchos-poncho-brown-beautiful-jpg

I bought the pattern for this one and ordered cotton in brown and tan...I am excited to do this...what do you think?
    At least you got something different, not the same one everyone else making! I'd make that one myself, it's truly unique. Where did you buy the pattern from if you don't mind me asking? I want one that drapes well, softly, but not the one with the big collar and typical granny square.

I saw the one on Ravelry, theirs doesn't look like the same poncho, I'd like the brown and cream you chose for sure! Looks much more rustic. What kind did you get Carons but in the colors of the pic you posted? I love the look of this one you posted a lot better than the ones they're modeling on Ravelry, must be the colors and the rustic look. The Caron's will make it flow so well, and drape properly, I wonder if the models on Ravelry used Carons? Well, it's out of my budget right now, I"m on fixed /broke income and it looks fairly easy,maybe I can run across a similar version for free online or in a 99 cent magazine like Happily Hooked. "I'm going to start stopping in at every thrift stores and any yard sales I can, hard to do when you don't drive, but you never know, everywhere I can go for Crochet Magazines and books to keep at home for reference. Great find Teri!

I thought the picture you posted had a hemp or rope like effect to that brown, so it's cotton, cool... yes, you'll have to make 2, lol, but what fun they'll be! It doesn't look like it will take a lot of yarn really tho. Enjoy!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 01-27-2015 at 07:03 AM.