Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Crazy granny square afghan? For practice?

Hi, all! Let me know if you think this is a good idea . . .

I just started crocheting 2 weeks ago and am almost done with a scarf. It's nice, but I've only learned a couple of stitches and they only technique I've learned is how to change colors at the end of a row. So . . . rather than learn a couple things per project, I was thinking of making a lot of granny squares using many different stitches and yarns, then crocheting them all together for an afghan.

It would be a multi-color, wild, crazy thing, but if I crochet it together in black (or other solid color), that would bring it together into a harmonious whole. Plus, I would learn a lot of stitches without spending a lot of time on just one or two.

Do you think this would work?
    "We are stardust, we are golden; and we've got to get back to the garden."
    ~ Joni Mitchell

2. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    most of us have learned various stitches using granny squares. my first was a mishmash of colors, which turned into a beautiful afghan! go ahead and learn on granny squares! the results will be wonderful. p.s. make sure all your squares are the same size. my first, while beautiful, had many unmatched corners!

4. Likes sherri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Chimama!
    ~ Joni Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like a great idea! Your blanket will be a "sampler" afghan. One thing to think about is that black yarn can be very difficult on the eyes. I use a lot of dark and black yarn with no problems, but some people hate working with it, especially at night.

Shelley

7. Likes sherri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I also think it is a great idea and it would showcase all different stitches. I agree that black is a tough color, though I tend to do a lot of join as you go grannies and use black as the joining color since I like the colors to really pop. I just tend to use black or navy or any dark color during natural daylight hours, does help.

And it would be terrific if you post a picture when you are all done with it. Have fun!!!

Roe

9. Likes sherri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I'll re-think the black and definitely post a pic when done. Thanks, everyone!!
    ~ Joni Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a fabulous idea! But I agree about the black or other dark colors...plus it's hard to get a good photo of it when you're done Keep us posted on your progress!

12. Likes sherri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sherri, I've got a huge stack of squares I've been working on for a big blanket to fit my full size bed. It's a constant work in progress for me. But instead of connecting them with the standard white yarn, I'm thinking of using red instead. I have a big one pound skein of pretty red yarn that I'm saving to connect all my colorful squares once I'm done. I'll connect them with a raised SC stitch. My squares are all kinds of different colors in the same pattern. They're not granny squares, they have a circle flower motif in the center but each square is only one color. I think using the red color will be a nice finish.

Shelley

14. Likes sherri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, that sounds beautiful. Please post pics when you're finished!!
    ~ Joni Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    Shelley, that sounds beautiful. Please post pics when you're finished!!
    HI Sherrie, Here is a variety of granny squares done in a Cal, you might find helpful. All the patterns are
    found further down the page ...just click on them.

Granny Sampler Afghan CAL