Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Question HELP! Where does the hook go at the beginning and end of a row?

Help! I just started crocheting a few weeks ago and am completely confused about where to start stitching after my turning chain. I know about “chain 1 for sc, 2 for hdc, and 3 for dc” and that the first chain does not count as the first stitch for sc, but the respective chains count as the first stitch for hdc’s and taller. BUT . . . knowing that does not help with the directions I’ve read about where to start and end a row!

Here are instructions from 3 different internet sites. The red text are my questions. Can anyone help me clarify where the hook goes? Thank you sooooo much!!

• Usually, the turning chain at the beginning of the row, takes the place of the first stitch of the row.
    • Double crochets start in the second stitch of the row, one stitch between it and the chain. (Second stitch of what? The one below it? If so, are we talking about the new chain or the one below? Are we counting the turning chain as the first stitch?)
    • For double crochet, work the first stitch in the second stitch of the row below. (Counting the turning chain as the first stitch of the row below, since it takes the place of the first stitch?)

2. Thanks dotbinmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    Help! I just started crocheting a few weeks ago and am completely confused about where to start stitching after my turning chain. I know about “chain 1 for sc, 2 for hdc, and 3 for dc” and that the first chain does not count as the first stitch for sc, but the respective chains count as the first stitch for hdc’s and taller. BUT . . . knowing that does not help with the directions I’ve read about where to start and end a row!

Here are instructions from 3 different internet sites. The red text are my questions. Can anyone help me clarify where the hook goes? Thank you sooooo much!!

• Usually, the turning chain at the beginning of the row, takes the place of the first stitch of the row.
    • Double crochets start in the second stitch of the row, one stitch between it and the chain. (Second stitch of what? The one below it? If so, are we talking about the new chain or the one below? Are we counting the turning chain as the first stitch?)
    • For double crochet, work the first stitch in the second stitch of the row below. (Counting the turning chain as the first stitch of the row below, since it takes the place of the first stitch?)
    This is JUST what you need! Clare, bobwilson123 has a great video series of what to do with your hook after you've made your chain! Also, how to go the the next row with all stitches and which stitch to put your hook in!

She shows you where to put your hook for SC, HDC, Dc, and Tr crochet stitches. There are other people who also do videos like this so you can visually follow along, but she is slow and cal, patiently teaching you these lessons. ! AS A MATTER OF FACT, this video I posted is part of a play list of one great tutorial video after the other. Good luck, let me know if you need more help This is the series of hers that I used in the very beginner lessons on my blog posts. Since you're having problems with this type of thing, it will help you tremendously to subscribe to my blog, it helps beginners a lot and also more advanced can improve their skills with it! My signature on the blog is my link to the blog, so go to it if you'd like, fill out the subscribe box, go to your email, confirm and send the confirm email, and you'll be on my list to automatically receive notifications of all newly published posts. Let me know if and when you subscribe so I can be sure you made it to the user list. This link takes you to my blog post that came out yesterday, you can even subscribe on this one!
    Happy 2015; Featured Subscriber; New – Friday Flowers; My Newly Designed Chenille Cowl Pattern and My Newly Designed Pink Ribbed Headband Pattern; My Work Finished Since My Last Post; 2 Patterns For any Level to Make; Techniques including Alter

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, thank you so much! Iwill check out her other videos, too. Yes, I did subscribe to your blog. You seem like a very knowledgeable crocheter!
    "We are stardust, we are golden; and we've got to get back to the garden."
    ~ Joni Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, thank you so much! Iwill check out her other videos, too. Yes, I did subscribe to your blog. You seem like a very knowledgeable crocheter!
    You're welcome! I'm no expert by any means but I'll gladly help you find answers! You must have just subscribed today, so thank you for that! Did you get the post that was released yesterday? I put the link on Crochet talk under Main and the title says it all, so go there to get that post if you didn't get it! I have something new that I think everyone will like for the new year!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 01-22-2015 at 02:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still learning; sometimes I forget and then have to go back and look at a video

Post Thanks / Like
    Sherri, it wasn't long ago that I was you, many of us were, and we all started out at the beginning, and everybody helps each other plus we have the internet... so just go at your own pace! I did the blog the way I learned, so that people could follow it and do like I did. That was the only way I knew to do it, so it worked out well. I'm going back over the more technical things now that I didn't even know to learn when I first taught myself!Good luck and people will help you in here and anywhere you ask really. Check out the google+ communities if you haven't already, there are tons of people of all levels posting their pics, questions, patterns, just like in here but the more you get around sited the more people you'll meet and you'll see them around various places like youtube, or their websites or fb pages, and get to know some people! Like you did in here. I've met so many nice ,generous, helpful people, and now I see them all over the internet! This is my page, it's not that hard to learn your way around the communities and pages. OR you might feel better just going to one place, I myself talk too much so I get around a lot, lol! https://plus.google.com/u/0/103319775257803416339/posts

8. Likes sherri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing my video

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwilson123 View Post
    Thank you for sharing my video
    Oh, you're quite welcome! I use your videos all over my blog too, lol, so I introduce a lot of people to you, IF they don't know you already! You're a great designer and instructor. Right now I'm following your method of layout out 17 squares and sewing them together, to make my 1st handbag! I watched several videos for hours and went back to yours to use since it was easiest for me - thx for all of your online help and congrats on winning the Flamies Best Crochet Youtube Channel. You really do deserve it!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-03-2015 at 11:00 PM.