Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  17
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use both Boye and Susan Bates hooks. It all depends on the type of yarn I'm using. I've found that Susan Bates hooks work the best for me when I'm using cotton yarn. It helps to keep my yarn from slipping off the hook. For acrylic yarn, I like using Boye hooks.

I have several beautiful bamboo hooks that my mom bought for me but I really don't like them very much. The handles don't have a flat part and they tend to "roll" in my hand when I'm using them.

Shelley

2. Likes cheri54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Boye hooks and I really like them. I have never had any trouble with my yarn splitting. I just have problems with it knotting up then i have to stop and get the knot out before I can continue. My mom always used the Boye hook also and she also liked them. She never had any problems with yarn splitting either. Could be the type of yarn or the brand. I use Red Heart and a few other brands

4. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,
    If your yarn or thread twists you can put a darning needle or another needle on it (threading your yarn) and hold it so the needle hangs from the yarn. The weight of the needle will unwind your yarn.

Thank You, Jean Marie! What a wonderful idea -I will certainly try this!

6. Likes Teri, cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan Bates Luxite Hooks, only available on amazon.com. They are cheap, all white, strong and smooth in sliding through your yarn. I've used them for months and enjoy them. I highly recommend them. When you buy them, make sure they are the LUXITE hooks!

8. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't use Boye either had the same problem, use Susan Bates and love them. Good luck...

10. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cheri, I understand your problem. I have found that my favorite hooks are Clover hooks. They are smooth and have really great handles.

12. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Susan Bates QuickSilver Aluminum Crochet Hooks...yarn glides through stitches ,,

14. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hook to use

Quote Originally Posted by cheri54 View Post
    i get really tired of my crochet hooks not sliding smoothly through my stitches, or the tip catching on a stitch below the one i'm working on, or having the yarn slip off the hook as i pull through to complete a stitch... does anybody know of a brand with a deeper 'hook' that will keep the yarn from slipping off and separating the yarn strand with the tip? or is it me and not the hook...? lol i use Boye brand aluminum hooks for the most part...which i can easily afford.

I use Susan Bates hook. I do not do well with Boye hooks.

16. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that when I use yarn that looks like mohair (fuzzy yarn) my hooks get caught all the time. How can I correct that? Are there any tricks I can use?

18. Likes cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry about your loss, I to have my 11 year cat put down last June...they discovered a tumor on her kidney,
    and was inoperable. i still miss her...our pets become our family members and there is such a void when they are gone.

20. Likes cheri54 liked this post