Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cost of Yarn

Sometimes, I can't believe how expensive yarn is! Last week, I bought several skeins of very nice baby yarn at Hobby Lobby, and it cost me $75! After I got home I realized it wasn't even the colors I like, so I returned it. Thankfully, I hadn't started making a baby blanket with it and I was able to get a full refund.

After I got my refund, I went back and bought several skeins of "I Love This Yarn" to make a nice lapghan for my dad for Christmas. And it was $35, which I thought was a lot, since I already had one of the colors on hand at home.

I need to watch more carefully for the sales and coupons. I crochet every day and the price seems to keep going up.

I'm just venting...
    Shelley

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelley,
    Just buy 2 - 8 skeins of yarn (or however many you want at the time) now and then that you think you'd like - at least 2 skeins of the same color so you have enough for your project. You don't have to know what you are going to make with the yarn when you buy it. Then you will have yarn in the house to crochet with and you don't have to go out to buy yarn. I used to buy yarn I thought was pretty and now I have yarn in the house when I want to crochet. Sometimes I will still buy yarn but I want to use up what's in the house.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, each store by me (Michaels, AC Moore and Walmart) has been slowly raising their prices (we don't have a Hobby Lobby here) and even though I am a yarnoholic, I now have made it a point only to buy on sale and when I have coupons. However, once in a while, if I see a new color (seems though Walmart has a very limited supply of yarn, they seem to get the new Red Heart colors first) I will pick up a couple of skeins because it may not be there the next time. But I also keep checking my local Goodwill Store and yard sales. I also sign up for emails from Herrschners and Joannes and sometimes they have great sales on yarn and free shipping, which is about the only way I shop online, and again, if there is something new or at a great price, I will order. My motto is to get the most I can for the least amount of money (and that goes for everything).

But you are right, yarn is expensive and it isn't always the real high end yarn either. Crocheting is my passion and I love doing what I can for others in need for whatever reason so I seek out the best I can (love the thrill of the hunt).

And everyone once in a while, my neighbors give me yarn from their relatives who no longer crochet/knit or co-workers since they will mention what I do.

Also, [url]www.retailmenot.com[/url] has coupon codes for a lot of websites. Just put in whatever store you are interested in and if it is one that is listed, if there are any codes, it will come up or sign up for emails and they send alerts too for almost everything.

Roe

My local Walmart has RHSS for $2.88, Michaels is $3.19 and I think AC Moore is $2.99.
    Last edited by LI Roe; 12-14-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, yarn is getting more expensive, i remember when they had a brand at Walmart for 95 cents. I did however find a good deal at JoAnn's. On their web sight they had RH SS for sale for 2.89, in the store was still marked at 3.19. I showed her the site on my phone and she honored it. AT Walmart though RHSS is about 5 dollars or more. For an early Christmas present i got a 25$ gift card to JoAnn's, got about 8 skiens of yarn and two hand soaps along with 5 dollars off for spending 25, it came to 20.94. I was happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and also found this web site too if this helps Smiley's Yarns - Special Store Discount Yarn Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    I know at the Walmart around here, RHSS is $2.88 a skein and the jumbo skein is around $5.47. Sometimes they have the 4 oz. skeins for $1.99. The AC Moore price is $2.89 and Michaels is $3.19. I try to stock up on the Loops & Threads Charisma and Impeccable when it is $1.79 or $1.99 a skein on sale but it's rare and you have to get there quick or you miss out on nearly every color. I have enough Charisma stashed to make a cover for a queen size bed using 6" granny squares. Don't know when I might get that project started, but I have enough yarn.
    I always look for yarn sales and seldom pay regular price for yarn unless I have a request from someone. Raise the price on gasoline, chocolate and yarn....I'll soon be a hermit with nothing to do (lol). Hugs to all, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

8. Likes cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupons, I never buy new yarn without a coupon. Even if you have to walk in two or three times, because the coupon says "one item".

But, I only buy new when I'm making a gift for someone. Otherwise, I'll buy yarn at garage/yard/church/rummage/estate sales. Then, I'll make blankets for charity :-)

10. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley Check out Walmart if you have one close and if you have a JoAnn Store near you, sign up for their coupons Sometime they are as much as 50% off. That is the only way I am able to crochet so much. And believe me I crochet a LOT. We are on SS. So that limits a lot of extras. Hope this helps you out.
    charlye

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so bad about using coupons, seems I always forget I have them. It's like throwing money down the drain. I'm going to be more careful from now on, most especially with my yarn purchases. I love it when JoAnn has yarn on sale online, with free shipping.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    i know what you mean...i recently looked online for discount yarn venders. found Yarn-Paradise and thought i'd hit the jackpot! many types of yarn at ridiculously low prices, some for 25 cents a skein, some 33 cents a skein...you just had to buy in bulk. 4 to 8 skeins at a time. no problem! until you go to buy it and find the shipping and handling are where they make up the money.
    they wanted almost $100.00 to send less than 6 pounds of yarn! needless to say i left the site without any yarn...:/