Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Question for those with wool allergies

Hi everyone. I have a question for those who have wool allergies. The majority of my current projects are for charitable organizations so I always use acrylic yarn since I know there are those who are allergic to wool. I am not allergic so that is why I would like to know if washable wool blends also affect those with allergies.

Some yarns do have a blend of washable wool with acrylic. Has anyone used them for themselves or others with allergies and if so, was there a reaction? I may have inadvertently used a blend and given it away but try to keep it easy for the recipients.

Thanks, see you all later.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not used wool products much, but hopefully we will hear from others shortly. Don't give up on finding out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm still allergic to wool blend yarn. It's extremely itchy to wear and I can't take it off fast enough. I only use wool for felting projects, and then it's only 100% wool, not the washable kind. I want it to shrink up in the washing machine. I can work with wool and don't get that itchy feeling on my hands, but there's no way I can wear anything with any wool in it. At all.

Hope this helps you!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    It might depend on the person and how allergic they are to wool. I know I can't wear or work with wool at all. Not even blends with as little as 3% wool. And when I say "wool" I mean lambswool, alpaca, llama, yak, cashmere (boo hoo) and anything that comes under the general category of wool. It's quite a sight to see me shopping for yarn. I poke at the skeins with anything but my fingers until it turns enough to see the content. If it's wool I back off like it's the plague. I remember having to go home and shower if I was shopping and accidentally tried something on that had wool in it. The itching was horrible. It's kind of strange because that's the only allergy I have. And with the exception of my mother, my whole family is allergic to wool.

Please, please do not donate anything to a charity that contains wool, even washable wool. If a baby has wool allergies it could cause serious problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your input, gals. I do everything in acrylic but realized that Lion Brand Wool-ease has a bit of a blend in it, probably that is why it is so extra soft and cuddly. So I will use that for myself (don't have a lot, but did buy it when it was on sale and when I found it at Goodwill) or what I can also do is attach a note that it is wool blend for those who have allergies. But then again, that could get removed so I will go back to Plan A (me taking the few projects).

Roe