Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Spilled - help

Post Thanks / Like

Spilled - help

I spilled a whole glass of iced tea on all my wip's. The main casualty was 8 skeins of yarn. At first they looked ok but looking close the tea absorbed quickly to the inside of the skein. How can I save them. =::"00@:

2. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard that you can wash entire skeins of yarn in the washer. I have never done it but I believe they were put into a pillowcase or mesh bags, so that they would be contained and then washed.

Hopefully, someone has done this and can give you more info.

I also googled washing skeins of yarn and this one that popped up. Maybe it can be of some help.

[url=http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-89028-1.html]Washing a ball of yarn[/url]

Roe

Post Thanks / Like

washing skeins

I have washed many skeins of Red Heart in a pillowcase & then put in drier. Just be sure you put your fingers in the skeins after drying & fluff a little & if still damp put back in drier. works like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like
    you know what they say about lemons and lemonade? well, if your yarn color is light, you could call it 'vintage' and go ahead and use it, lol...unless it was sugared. might want to try a delicate cycle wash first. although my grandmother used to make gorgeous stars that she 'sugared' for stiffness...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by debbie67 View Post
    I spilled a whole glass of iced tea on all my wip's. The main casualty was 8 skeins of yarn. At first they looked ok but looking close the tea absorbed quickly to the inside of the skein. How can I save them. =::"00@:
    You're getting some good info here - one rule is: keep all food & drink 10 ft from crochet related items, lol... I read that on a list of rules that I also posted on my blog and maybe on here somewhere too, by world famous crochet designer and 'guru' Doris Chan. Keep your yarn labels on or near all skeins and wrap around balls if you roll it up, and learn to read yarn labels, there are lots of places to find ANYthing online, including washing spills or stains out, how to read yarn labels, etc etc!! That will help you a lot - yarn care before, during and after a project is done is really important to make your finished piece last forever! I learned all of this online BTW, I am no pro, but I do search every day to learn more all the time. Good luck, you can save your yarn!

p.s. a lot of people use vinegar or peroxide in their wash to have all natural products cleaning their yarn, also good for those with allergies.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 12-17-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oxyclean is a product I use to get old yellowed crochet items to their first glory. Also, I bought a Minnie Mouse doll from a thrift store and when I got it home there were ink spots on each cheek. It took about two weeks to remove the stain but it did come clean. This is a great product and I recommend it for all kinds of stains.
    deneville

8. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use Oxyclean on my doilies and as Deneville mentioned it really brightens them up. I try not to use bleach as that will eventually cause the thread to break down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oxyclean is amazing my sister had some old pillow cases with embroidery on them but they were so yellow she was going to get rid of them. I soaked them in detergent and Oxyclean overnight the put through the wash cycle. Taadaa all nice and white! Love it it's also great for carpet stains: -) Hugs Winnie

11. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roe I am going to try that with a yarn that I won't miss if it's ruined!!! Thanks a bunch!!!! Love and hugs Winnie

Post Thanks / Like

Oxyclean

I'm so glad to find out oxyclean works on crocheted items! I just came to this site and have learned so much! Thanks to all!

14. Likes Susan2014 liked this post