Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Question: Re: Night Owl Eye Mask

I am wondering what brand yarn D used in the Owl Night Eye Mask tutorial?
    I purchased Red Heart, which requires an "I" hook, but, it appears she is using a different, more softer yarn, since she is using a different size hook... an "H" hook... Lastly, does Crochet Talk have a place where I can obtain a copy of the written pattern?
    P.S. "D" is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL at teaching & an AMAZING crocheter (is that even a word??!! LOL
    This seems like a really neat project..easy for a beginner like myself....
    something I can actually finish!! I just know my 10 year old will LOVE this....
    I can't wait to get started!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, Crochet Talk, for providing this service FREE OF CHARGE to inspire people like me to crochet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by leslie1919; 12-11-2014 at 04:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping Crochet Talk will consider answering the above question soon... Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can use any kind of acrylic or cotton yarn as long as it's soft and not scratchy. Good for you for sticking with learning how to crochet!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much, Shelley!! Admittedly, I'm OCD when it comes to following directions to the "T!!" Improvise? But the directions don't say that!! LOL... Hopefully, crocheting will remedy that!! =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Leslie, I'm with you on the OCD thing. It runs in my family lol.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie1919 View Post
    I am wondering what brand yarn D used in the Owl Night Eye Mask tutorial?
    I purchased Red Heart, which requires an "I" hook, but, it appears she is using a different, more softer yarn, since she is using a different size hook... an "H" hook... Lastly, does Crochet Talk have a place where I can obtain a copy of the written pattern?
    P.S. "D" is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL at teaching & an AMAZING crocheter (is that even a word??!! LOL
    This seems like a really neat project..easy for a beginner like myself.... I can't wait to get started!! something I can actually finish!! I just know my 10 year old will LOVE this....THANK YOU SO MUCH, Crochet Talk, for providing this service FREE OF CHARGE to inspire people like me to crochet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi Leslie, welcome to the site, this is a group of fantastic people who support, encourage and help in any way they can! They form a close knit community that many of the fb crochet groups don't have. Secret Santas, pen pals, a place for every post of every kind!

The internet is slam packed with free crochet information, and that's what I use on my blog site. I bookmark daily into categories to learn along with posting my blog pages! It looks like regular 4 ply worsted weight on this video and any kind will likely do that you like the softness of for this. Did you get R.H. Super Saver or R.H. Super Soft? Yarn looks so different on camera that it's hard to tell, and fortunately most designers tell what yarn they're using on a video, but R.H. Super Soft would be a nice soft yarn for this project, "I Love This Yarn" is very good, Caron's Super Soft is superb, but even Super Saver gets much softer with certain stitches, and some skeins of it are much softer than others. I think they've even improved that product, but many people say it's too rough.

You can wash yarn per it's label directions, but most of it you can just wash it tepid water before or even easier, after making your piece. You can wash yarns like red Heart Super Saver, which is an affordable good 4 ply with lots of choices that a lot of people start out with. Iit with shampoo in the sink and then soak it for several hours or even overnight with hair conditioner, then rinse well without squeezing, just press it against the sink, and then wrap it with a towel to squeeze excess water, and then lie it on a flat dry surface.

Don't put an iron to yarn, it will meld the stitched into felt, so be careful to read your labels! I've got some good yarn care info on my blog, or you can search it and find several sites yourself that give you good yarn care and care for your crochet pieces to make them last safely intact for many years! But remember that the size of hook you use can make your project come out smaller or larger than the one in a video, but this one would probably be ok if you use the hook your yarn calls for, it can't be that much different in size I wouldn't think. You should be able to tell pretty soon if it the size if off too much if it's going to be.

Good luck, post a pic of your finished piece for us!