Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to Think I Should've Waited

I should have waited longer before buying more yarn to make things to sell. I just don't think my crocheting is good enough right now since it doesn't really seem to catch anyone's eyes. I suppose I will just find some old yarn I don't use and just keep practicing. I'm sure eventually I'll get good enough at it to bring in some extra cash. Hopefully it's before I graduate from college because I'm not sure how my schedule will be after I become a nurse. I just wanted to let that out to people who understand, I don't think my fiance cares very much about my crochet talk. Sorry for being whiney everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it's hard to sell crocheted items people don't appreciate the value in the time that you put into it also there are so many people out there especially now at Christmas selling their stuff that it's a tough market. Way more supply than demand. What have you tried selling and where have you tried selling it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by debbie67 View Post
    I find it's hard to sell crocheted items people don't appreciate the value in the time that you put into it also there are so many people out there especially now at Christmas selling their stuff that it's a tough market. Way more supply than demand. What have you tried selling and where have you tried selling it
    I have tried selling headbands, head wraps, scrunchie hair ties, and scarves. I have tried on ebay, I have tried indirectly to sell on facebook lol, and I have only tried a scarf and my little turtles on here. I can't sign up for craft fairs right now because of family plans that I can not put off. I just don't know if it's my work or if I'm not trying to get it out there the right way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by debbie67 View Post
    You're right Debbie. The rare pieces one might sell is touch & go, and you can't make a lot of misc things ahead of time. And there's use your time & yarn for things that you don't even know will sell. The public is trendy and wants cheap items, apparently wanting them made really good but wanting to pay little for them! Most of them don't understand the talent & time put into handcrafted work that we love, they just want to get a good deal on.

It's good to sell items on ETSY and it's affordable too, but there is a lot of good competition on there.... plus it's no longer an all handcrafted site now since they've begun to sell imported mass produced items on here that has hurt all of the talented artists and small business sales on there. You may get an occasional order locally or even online if you list your work & prices online like on fb where people may see it, and show people examples of your work but let them know you can make most other items (if you can).

I've learned that you really can't make a profit selling handcrafted work of most kinds. We won't have time to make things we want or need to make for ourselves if we crochet items for others,, and if you don't get 100% payment in full up front, you're very likely to be completely burned by getting ripped off by the customer backing out of the sale. I see it all the time in groups I'm on, on fb.

One thing you can do if you can write patterns is sell them on Craftsy or Ravelry, but not everyone who crochets can write patterns. I'm in a quandry about continuing my blog for the new year since payment for some of the sites I need to run it are coming up to be renewed. It's great that people love my blog site, but it's not free to operate and if I can never make any $$ at all somehow thru it, then I'm only spending time doing the blog posts when I could just be learning new stitches myself, designing my own pieces ,selling patterns, making items from other people's patterns, and making gifts and donations.

Many blog sites have yarn or other product sponsors backing them, and they often still having trouble financially operating their blog sites too. I'm going to just stick to crocheting, designing pieces for myself, writing the patterns and offering them for sale on Ravelry & Craftsy, paying only the PayPal fees.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 12-02-2015 at 11:06 AM.

5. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan from Susan2014 in Minnesota, Hope your Holidays are Blessed with Gods Miracles of Love, Peace and Good Food.
    Ive been away as last 3 weeks had flue and pnemonia. God Bless my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan2014 View Post
    Hi Susan from Susan2014 in Minnesota, Hope your Holidays are Blessed with Gods Miracles of Love, Peace and Good Food.
    Ive been away as last 3 weeks had flue and pnemonia. God Bless my friend.
    THANK you, susan2014, and I wish you the very same! I'm sorry you've been so sick, I hope you're much better now. I'll add you to my prayer list tonight! I'm going to be putting a new blog post out this week, so be looking for it! Thx for the message and support on my blog site. I hope that God comforts you with His Holy Spirit all throughout the holidays and all through the year as well. I'm so glad that you're one of my many new friends, and to have so many new Christian friends has been such a blessing. For now, susan

Post Thanks / Like
    You know we all always doubt our work I don't think its your work my turtle is so cute people just don't appreciate handcrafted items..

9. Likes Ivy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The sale of crochet items can be tough at times. You never know what the public is actually looking for. The best thing is to possibly check out craft fairs just to see what seems to be the best sellers, word of mouth helps also. Never underestimate your work, just keep crocheting and perfecting your work if you feel you need to and good things will happen.

Keep the faith.

Roe

11. Likes Ivy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Roe View Post
    The sale of crochet items can be tough at times. You never know what the public is actually looking for. The best thing is to possibly check out craft fairs just to see what seems to be the best sellers, word of mouth helps also. Never underestimate your work, just keep crocheting and perfecting your work if you feel you need to and good things will happen.

Keep the faith.

Roe
    I want tot try etsy but I just am not sure I would sell a thing on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I want tot try etsy but I just am not sure I would sell a thing on it
    Try that! It's very affordable so you won't have much invested in it, just be prepared to possibly spend time making more for others than for yourself, and they want perfection in finished pieces. There is some awesome competition on there as I said before!