Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Super Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?

is there a trick to using bulky yarn? my girls gave me some today and i have been trying to figure out how to work with it. i haven't gotten past the first chain row yet! for some reason i am unable to tell where to put my hook. i always try to go between the top two strands, leaving one strand at the bottom, and i try to keep the chain row straight and not twisted. i am having sooo much difficulty seeing the pattern that the chain makes and getting more frustrated with this yarn.
    it's beautiful yarn, looks like chenelle (?spelling), sooo soft and thick. perfect for a baby blanket, if i could figure out how to use it.
    i really hope someone has a sure fire trick to crochet easily with this stuff...i need help. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Either try using a bigger hook, or use it only for arm knitting. I love using bernat's big yarn for arm knitting infinity scarves.

3. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have gotten used to working with bulky yarn but I just do simple dc or hdc and have used J or K hooks when I do hats. I do go up to L or M on scarves.

Roe

5. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I discovered Bernat's Super Bulky (aka 'Blanket') when my husband picked it out for a scarf. I LOVED working with the yarn and he LOVED the scarf ... so much that he asked for a matching hat. Same results ... now he wants a matching sweater! Regretfully, my experience may not help your problem because I knitted these items using large needles. So my suggestion is to go to a larger hook. The wrapper suggests an 11 knitting needle, I used a 13 and it worked very well. The wrapper suggests an L hook, so you might try one or two sizes larger. Good luck, once you get going, the yarn is wonderful.

7. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    shoot, i have trouble just using my fingers...can't imagine using my arm...lol i did finally figure it out. it was just crocheting onto the chain that gave me so much trouble, after i got through that i did ok. i have the same trouble with the crocheting on to the chain when using a thinner yarn also, but when i get past that it works out. thanks cheri
    Last edited by cheri54; 12-07-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i agree. this yarn is wonderful! i was using an N hook, and the only difficult part was crocheting onto the chain, after that it was easy going...)

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a lapghan using a super bulky yarn with a size N hook. I never would have purchased the yarn myself, but my mom and sister gave me a bunch of the yarn. This is what I came up with. It's just one large granny square. It looks very cute at the end of my bed.

Shelley
    Attached Images Attached Images Super Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-blanket-4-jpg Super Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-blanket3-jpg Super Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-blanket2-jpg Super Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-blanket1-jpg Super Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-securedownload-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    That's one of my favorite yarns! What size crochet needle are you using? For the bulky yarns an M, N, P or Q should be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made Ponchos, Cowls and Infinity Scarves with it. [ATTACH=CONuFIG]11055[/ATTASuper Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-image-jpgCH]
    Attached Images Attached Images Super Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-image-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Super Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-image-jpgSuper Bulky Yarn by Bernat...?-image-jpg

The poncho was made with Lion Brand super bulky but the rest were made with Bernat
    Last edited by candacebeard; 12-11-2014 at 12:08 PM.