Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by candacebeard View Post
    That's one of my favorite yarns! What size crochet needle are you using? For the bulky yarns an M, N, P or Q should be used.
    Like I said in an other comment, I'm soon going to get a set of either Red Heart or Crochet Dude acrylic hooks, a set of (would like to have an L but it's not part of the pkg I found) M, N, and P, all in one, and the best deal I've found is only about 3.47 with no shipping, and that's cheaper than me driving to buy some! I'd considered bamboo but am going with these instead.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 12-17-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's very uncomfortable for me to use the really big hooks because I hold my hooks like a pencil. It's too big to hold it like that so I have to switch to the "grab" position which is very awkward for me.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cheri54 View Post
    is there a trick to using bulky yarn? my girls gave me some today and i have been trying to figure out how to work with it. i haven't gotten past the first chain row yet! for some reason i am unable to tell where to put my hook. i always try to go between the top two strands, leaving one strand at the bottom, and i try to keep the chain row straight and not twisted. i am having sooo much difficulty seeing the pattern that the chain makes and getting more frustrated with this yarn.
    it's beautiful yarn, looks like chenelle (?spelling), sooo soft and thick. perfect for a baby blanket, if i could figure out how to use it.
    i really hope someone has a sure fire trick to crochet easily with this stuff...i need help. lol
    Fur sure use big hooks like N or P with bulky yarns, the yarn labels tell what hook is good for the yarn you're buying. also, use one size larger for the foundation chain, then go down to the 'called for' size to work the piece. I've never seen any big hooks in stainless steel, so if anyone has sen them, please let me know... all I've seen is acrylic but I can't imagine why!

I made a chenille cowl recently, and it's s little hard to work with since it rubs itself in away that makes it hard to pull, and a big hook is a must for things like that. I used an H, my biggest hook right now, but I'll use bigger next time! Go loose and slow with it.... I'd post mine but it's a dark burgundy and you can't tell a darn thing about it in my pics. It made a beautiful piece, too.

I'm going to buy a 3 piece pkg of acrylic hooks with sizes L, and either M or N, and P, because I want to make a lot of things with chunky yarn. I have every other size of hook that exists but those, and I need them more than anything right now to work with some homespun and even more bulky than that which I'll be using soon.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 12-17-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered some acrylic hooks too. I like them but the yarn doesn't glide as smoothly on them as the steel ones and I ordered some smaller hooks in a plastic that gives a lot. I don't know who makes them but they give a lot, real bendy. I don't care for them but I'll use them. The larger ones are clear color and very sturdy. I also have some Susan Bates Luxite hooks. I really like those the best. They are smooth and sturdy. When you crochet fast the hook matters. Just FYI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you looked on Amazon or Herrshners.com for hooks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheri ...
    I absolutely LOVE Bernat's Super Bulky (aka 'Blanket') and love working with it. My husband picked it out for a scarf he wanted. He liked the scarf so much, he asked for a matching hat. That led to his latest request: a matching sweater! I'm working on the last.

My secret? These three items are knit rather than crochet BUT I think what makes the difference is the size . The label recommends size 11 needle; I used a 13 and it had made a great deal of difference. For crochet, I would use an N that will give you more wiggle room to get the complete strand. Good luck. The yarn is wonderful -- soft and warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. The N, M or P work best with the bulky yarns.