Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

copyright infringements

Hope you all had a peaceful Thanksgiving. We have a lot to be thankful for but spent the day alone, Dale & I, because everyone had so many other places to be, but we have a Christmas dinners on Dec 7th and 25th unless some recent divorces in the family mess up Christmas Day. .
    So sad...

I just wanted to post this article that a lot of groups a re talking about, as well as Etsy and other sites:

Disney Cracking Down On Vendors Selling Unlicensed Merchandise - Doctor Disney

This applies to being careful also with Nascar, NFL, etc. Just FYI related to the crochet world! Good to keep up with this stuff...

2. Thanks Nova55, Rogue Hobbies thanked for this post
    Likes cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i checked out the website and read the posts...never did see an answer to the question about the legality of buying something such as material with a disney character, making an item with it, then selling the item. if you bought the material, wouldn't that mean you bought the right to do with it what you want? sure is confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read, on other boards, that while you can make personal items from licensed fabric, unless you obtain permission from the particular license holder (like Disney) you are not allowed to sell the items. If it is copyrighted, that is what stops the sales. I know, it is confusing.

Roe

5. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, if I made simba for my daughter and posted a picture of it online, say facebook, just to show off her gift etc., and a friend wanted to buy one from me, would that be okay or against the copyright law?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Roe View Post
    I have read, on other boards, that while you can make personal items from licensed fabric, unless you obtain permission from the particular license holder (like Disney) you are not allowed to sell the items. If it is copyrighted, that is what stops the sales. I know, it is confusing.

Roe
    I personally wouldn't post things like that online right now especially. I think Disney got all worked up because of the movie Frozen, with all the kids being the characters for Halloween and wearing crocheted knock-offs hats, which I'm about sick of looking at, lol, but the kids do love them. Disney does truly own the characters , thus also owns any replicas of them and the conclusion I came to was that they ARE scanning media sites and will prosecute for any theft of their characters. I'd stick to private messaging with them or emailing them if I was going to have anything to do with them.

A LOT of people are still making these hats and things and have no idea about the article, so they could end up in trouble, who knows how far Disney is really willing to take this? Just a warning, a fine, who knows?! There are a lot of designers and instructors making these pieces too, not just your 'everyday' crochet lover. I'm sure no one means any harm, and I doubt they're a big threat to the huge conglomerate of evil that is Disney. Look into their history and up to the present still, and you''' see what I mean.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 12-07-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hobbies View Post
    So, if I made simba for my daughter and posted a picture of it online, say facebook, just to show off her gift etc., and a friend wanted to buy one from me, would that be okay or against the copyright law?
    Meant to put this here, sorry LI ROE!!
    I personally wouldn't post things like that online right now especially. I think Disney got all worked up because of the movie Frozen, with all the kids being the characters for Halloween and wearing crocheted knock-offs hats, which I'm about sick of looking at, lol, but the kids do love them. Disney does truly own the characters , thus also owns any replicas of them and the conclusion I came to was that they ARE scanning media sites and will prosecute for any theft of their characters. I'd stick to private messaging with them or emailing them if I was going to have anything to do with them. A LOT of people are still making these hats and things and have no idea about the article, so they could end up in trouble, who knows how far Disney is really willing to take this? Just a warning, a fine, who knows?!