Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: It has a hump!

Post Thanks / Like

It has a hump!

I've come a long way teaching myself crochet this last year but still run into an occasional problem. Sometimes, not always, when I'm making a hat, after 4 or 5 rounds it becomes obvious that there's a hump on the side of the hat where the rows are connected.

Since it does't happen all the time I'm confused and realize I must be making a mistake in the stitches before I slip stitch into the top of the chain that began the row.

Do you complete a row (in the round) by making a new stitch in the base of stitch that holds the chain stitiches?

Tips on eliminated the hump will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! No-you don't make a stitch in the base of the ch 1. I have noticed I too get a slight hump when joining rounds with a sl! You don't seem to get this hump if you are working continous rnds though! I try to make the last stitch a bit tighter when joining with a sl st! Maybe somebody will have an idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    hi mixpixlix, i have crocheted my hats in a continual round where i do not join the row with a slip stitch and you do not have that line down the side of your hat. you just have to use stitch marker to let you see where you are coming to your next round. another tip is when you slip stitch to connect your row and then chain 3 for example--you then turn your work and do the rest of your row as your pattern suggests. hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixpixlix View Post
    I've come a long way teaching myself crochet this last year but still run into an occasional problem. Sometimes, not always, when I'm making a hat, after 4 or 5 rounds it becomes obvious that there's a hump on the side of the hat where the rows are connected.

Since it does't happen all the time I'm confused and realize I must be making a mistake in the stitches before I slip stitch into the top of the chain that began the row.

Do you complete a row (in the round) by making a new stitch in the base of stitch that holds the chain stitiches?

Tips on eliminated the hump will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    In other words do the chain 3 and go back in the direction you just finished?
    Thanks. I will try it. AND... try using a stitch marker.
    I would like to try crocheting in the round without having to sl st.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried ch 3 then turning your work? The hat will have stitches in the right and wrong side but it still looks good...in my opinion;

Post Thanks / Like
    Often I think the inside looks better than the outside of a hat. The chain 3 is correct regardless of the stitch being used?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are doing dc yes that is correct...

Post Thanks / Like
    I discovered that part of the problem was the tension got tighter the closer I got to joining a round. Made a real difference when I lighted up a bit.