Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Yarn winder

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn winder

If you do not have a yarn ball winder,I would encourage you to get one. I thought it would be a total waste of time,but have learne otherwise. Having the yarn in nice tight balls is so convenient while working with yarn and I find it easier to store the yarn,also. An added benefit is that my 5 yr old grand daughter can pretty much wind yarn by herself!

2. Likes Lissacc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A yarn winder would be nice to have. I think I'd use it for partial leftover skeins. I always wind it myself. Do you wind skeins? Or hanks of yarn?

Shelley

4. Thanks Dona thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,Shelly! I use my yarn winder on skeins that do not have the wrapper on them to identify the type of yarn it is.( I sometimes buy someone's stash.) I frequently wind up partially used skeins,because it is easier to store them in my yarn bins. My yarn winder is quicker and easier than winding manually. I got it on Ebay,so I didn't break the bank getting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have an electric one or a hand one? The gal who runs prayer shawl showed me the one she got online, think from knitpicks and she loves it, it's a hand one. I know some are better for regular size skeins of yarn (as opposed to the big 14 or 16 oz ones).

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roe,I have a manual yarn winder and really like it. Someone had said something about her electric one was more difficult to use,but I don't know why.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like one, because they look like leave a hole in the center to slide on a dowel. Been hand-winding, but they can get away from one, and then there is rewinding to do! Also have no hole!

Post Thanks / Like
    I take all my scrap yarn into one ball. And put all the colors together. Then I make a pretty blanket out of it.

10. Likes Lissacc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some questions about yarn winders. How much yarn will they wind up? Will they wind a whole skein of yarn? Or just leftovers?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    My yarn winder is about 15 yrs old and I really like it, its a hand cranker and use it all the time, easier to use the little cakes than a skein.