Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Afghan Edging Help

I am making a small afghan with 50 squares for my aunt for Christmas. So far I have 15 squares sewn together. I am looking for an easy border to crochet on it. I don't want to do the scalloped edge or the V stitch if I can help it. I was wondering if there is another easy border I am not familiar with that I could do. I prefer not to have a pattern that is a lot of work. It might even be a pattern you have used in the past that you like. If anyone can help me out I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you,
    xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes when I have a project with lots of color or "busyness" to it, I do a real simple border so as not to distract from the main section. I'll do a row of sc all around, maybe 3 sc in the corners, then I'll do either a row of hdc or dc, but in back loop only. The little ridge from the back loop only then looks like a frame for the main section of the blanket.

Post Thanks / Like
    mamamiaow, I am using the back loop only in sewing my squares together. It is a busy afghan because all the squares are different colors. So that edging would look great on the afghan. Thank you for your advice.
    xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    When I do granny square afghans, I usually put a row of sc, then dc or a row dc and then sc and sometimes a row of simple picot. Just finishes it off nicely without distracting from the afghan itself.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Roe for the suggestion. I have done that before too, except didn't do the picot edging. xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Lynda. I usually make a simple 5-dc shell, skip one, sc in next st, and repeat around, making 7 dc in each corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that a few rows of single crochet create a clean finished look and doesn't draw away from the pattern of the afghan.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about just double crochet in each stitch around. Double crochet, chain two, double crochet in each corner. Sounds plain, but it makes a nice edge if you use a contrasting or blending color yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    LeadFrogger, thank you so much for your suggestion. xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    Rushinred, thank you for your suggestion. I agree with you. xoxoxo Lynda