Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Broomstick for Broomstick Lace Crochet

Besides an actual broomstick, what else can I use for broomstick lace crochet? I'd like to make a scarf so it doesn't have to be very long. Any ideas on what else I can use?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    The larger size thicker knitting needles may work also.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Besides an actual broomstick, what else can I use for broomstick lace crochet? I'd like to make a scarf so it doesn't have to be very long. Any ideas on what else I can use?

Shelley
    How about using a size 50 plastic knitting needle? It is a large size and would be about the size of a scarf for the broomstick stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do not want to use a size 35 or a size 50 knitting needle for the "broomstick" you could get a dowel cut at a home depot or use a dowel from a craft store and cut it to size. I have used these ideas and they work well, however I do prefer the large knitting needles for easier handling. Fran M.

5. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a really large knitting needle can't off hand remember the size as I am on holiday so cannot look, but think it is either. 9mm or 15mm I use two sizes depending on item. Hope this helps. Gillian (Jill)

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a size Q plastic crochet hook to learn, and I have also used a large knitting needle and various sizes of dowel rods from Michael's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, most craft stores or Walmart sell An aluminum deal for Broomstick lace. Mine is a long tube with at point added to it. I had problems keeping the stitches on past the point so I took it off. I made a big broomstick afghan for my Mother in law and when she died one of the sister's in law gave it back to me. As I had made one for myself after I finished hers, I asked one of my daughters if she wanted it. That was along time ago. I still have mine. If you can't find one of those , any lumber place will cut you a 1 inch thick dowel about 15 or 18 ins long. Are you doing long or short strips. You may need the longer deal for a long strip. If you use a dowel, put a rubber band tight around the other end so your stitches don't slide off. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelley, everyone is right on with their advice. I love broomstick lace. If you are making a scarf, you can buy inexpensive size 35mm or 50mm plastic knitting needles. I started first with the 35 size and am very happy with it. I found a handmade broomstick lace needle at a Mennonite thrift store and paid only 50 cents for it. I love it and it works great. I now have 3 different sizes of needles so I can change the size of the loops for different projects. I find that having a set of knitting needles works great for a larger project because I can put loops of both needles instead of working with one long needle. I'm happy you like broomstick lace along with others. Makes me feel like I'm part of a group who likes something different. I haven't found anyone at a Home Depot or any other store who would put a point on a dowel for me, though. You can also check your local Goodwill or other thrift store for larger knitting needles. Good luck and have fun with your scarf Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelly, I have done broomstick crochet many times. You can use ANY round stick type item. There are plastic "broomstick needles" where craft and crochet/knit items are sold. You could go to Lowe's or Home Depot and look at the wood dowels to pick whatever diameter you would like to use, etc. Main thing is that it is smooth (no snagging of yarn), and the tapered tip on the plastic ones sold in craft stores does really help. Hope these suggestions give you some ideas as to things you could use.

Judy (The Hook and "I")

11. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all so much for the great information!

Shelley