Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judy
    I have used many different "needles" for broomstick crochet. I used PVC pipe while on vacation at a family member's house. The yarn moved nicely on the PVC but that's when I realized that I actually use the "point" of a knitting needle to pick up and slide the loops onto the needle. I have ben unable to find anything specifically for broomstick lace in this area and when I ask, no one knows what I am talking about. I have been pondering the idea of making a scarf with size 3 yarn, a smaller crochet hook and a size 13 or so knitting needle which would make a tight broomstick lace project. Has anyone tried anything like this? I know it would take a while but I think it would look nice. Any thoughts? or suggestions? Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    @Shelly - I remember you posted a pic of a lovely shawl you made in the broomstick lace. It was probably 2 years ago?? It sparked my desire to learn this stitch! The finished shawl came out so beautiful!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much. I made that using Lion Brand Tweed in a color called Woodlands. That was my first project with the broomstick lace stitch and I did fall in lov with the stitch then. I hope you enjoy working with that stitch, too. You can make some very nice (and unusual) items. Even people who have crocheted for years comment on it because they are not familiar with the broomstick lace stitch. Thanks for bringing back some very good memories for me You're an angel. Hugs, Shelly

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used a basic school ruler..if wood, make sure it doesn't have that metal strip in it...plastic ones work well, too. Even though the loops are "flat" around the ruler, they still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Besides an actual broomstick, what else can I use for broomstick lace crochet? I'd like to make a scarf so it doesn't have to be very long. Any ideas on what else I can use?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Hi Shelly, The plastic "broomstick" I have used is pretty large. I think they come in 35 and 50 sizes. Do you have a 'Jo Ann's Fabric Store' anywhere near you? I would think you might be able to pick one up there, or possibly a "Michael's" store.

I do not knit, so don't know anything about the needle sizes of those, but they seem awfully small to do a project using a 'broomstick' . Just wondering if you might know someone who does any woodworking crafts? I would think someone like that wouldn't have any trouble making a 'point' at the end of a large dowel, or actual broomstick for you.

Another thing I thought about is the weight of a larger piece of wood such as a broom handle, depending on the length you desire of course. It stands to reason the wood would be heavier to hold than the hollow plastic (if you could find plastic.)

So I'm about out of idea's I'm afraid. I do wish you the best of luck in finding, or having made, what you are seeking. Reminds me of "hairpin lace" looms. And patterns as well. I made my neighbor's daughter a shawl of hairpin lace for her prom. It turned out beautifully, but it was a lot of work and time involved. Her dad had made me a new loom from my description of the one I couldn't find, but after he made it, I ran into where I had put it. (Of course.)

So, good luck and hoping you find what you need.

Judy (The Hook and "I")
    Last edited by the hook and I; 10-23-2014 at 09:46 AM.

6. Thanks seashells_Shelly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You're probably going to laugh at me but a few months ago I wanted to try the broomstick lace. I didn't have any real large knitting needles so I looked around the house for something to use.....I found my "turkey baster" took off the rubber end and I tried the broomstick lace, made a scarve and got a blue ribbon in the fair..........who knows what a person can improvise with.....

8. Likes Charles Voth, seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a fantastic idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for the helpful hints, Margaret. I haven't found anything like you describe in any of our Wal-Marts and they keep shrinking the yarn and supplies sections of their stores. I fear they will stop selling yarn and supplies. I know that I can fit about 100 to 125 loops on a 35mm knitting needle and when I use 2 of them I can get 200 to 250 loops on the needles. To hold the loops on the first needle, I punched a hole in a piece of cardboard, slide that on the needle, then put a rubber band to hold the cardboard in place so the loops stay put. Sometimes I'll put a piece of cardboard on the needle before the loops to keep them from slipping off the end of the needle. From one broomstick lace lover to another...have an awesome day Hugs, Shelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Love your ingenuity....great idea...thanks Hugs, Shelly

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'll pick up a baster at the Dollar Tree the next time I'm there and keep it with my broomstick lace needles....the more sizes the better. I'll keep the rubber bulb thingy on the end to hold the loops....love your idea Hugs, Shelly