Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have to have the size hook a pattern calls for?

Hi All,
    A pattern called for a 'J' hook or 6mm hook. I have a 'I' hook and a 'K' hook but didn't find a 'J' hook so I went to the store and bought a 'J' hook. Do you go to the store and buy a hook to get the one you're supposed to have when you could substitute and use a hook that's close in size? we substitute in baking or don't put something in or just put something else in and sometimes we put in what we want besides what it calls for so why didn't I use a hook that was similar in size instead of going to the store and buying a hook?
    Jean Marie

2. Likes Poinciana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean, I'd get the hook the pattern calls for. You probably know of course that patterns usually tell you the kind of yarn and the hook size, and IF you use the yarn type they suggest, the pattern will turn out a different size if you use a different size hook, and sometimes that matters to where it will be bad, and sometimes it just doesn't matter at all, depending on the project you're making...but to be sure of the piece turning out right, I'd use their recommended yarn type and hook size. If you use a different yarn type than the pattern calls for, I'd go by the recommended hook the yarn calls for on the package to get a correct gauge, but you might have to do some calculating on your pattern too. I think you said you don't like using chunky yarn, and a lot of cowls call for that yarn type, so possibly you go for patterns that use the 4 ply or less. I didn't think it mattered much before, but now I think hook size is important because I myself have had problems with hats when I tried using a different hook size - it caused the hat to not fit the size of head it was supposed to! That's mainly why I say this about the rec hook size in my reply!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan,
    Thanks for your reply. I'm making a scarf so it probably wouldn't have mattered what size hook I used but I wanted to use the size hook that they said to have, although I had one close to the size needed. The 4-ply yarn that I'm using was thicker than the rest of the yarn in one place but I went ahead and crocheted with it.
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the project and your tension. I will try the hook suggested and if it is either too big or too small, then I switch out hooks. However, if I am doing something where I can pick my own size, I do, like for scarves and afghans that use a multiple.

If you are doing garments, for example, you should do a gauge swatch.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on what it is, and what my gauge is compared to the gauge for the pattern. If it is clothing, I will use the correct size hook the pattern calls for as long as my gauge matches the gauge for the pattern. If it's an afghan or scarf etc., I will use whatever size hook I am comfortable with. For medium worsted 4 size yarn, such as Caron One Pound and RHSS, I normally use an "I" hook. For smaller weighted yarns such as Caron Simply Soft and Bernat Baby, I normally use a G hook.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends on if you crochet loose or tight. I usually have to go to next size down as I am
    not a tight crocheter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just like Jewels-a loose crocheter. As said I also usually go down a hook size.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a tight crocheter, so generally go a size up to get the right tension. But I have so many crochet hooks that I usually have the right one when I need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi All,
    Do you go to the store and buy a hook to get the one you're supposed to have when you could substitute and use a hook that's close in size? we substitute in baking or don't put something in or just put something else in and sometimes we put in what we want besides what it calls for so why didn't I use a hook that was similar in size instead of going to the store and buying a hook?
    Jean Marie
    Hi Jean Marie, I like the example about cooking. When I am making a recipe for the first time, I will use exactly what it calls for and then in the amounts it asks for. So why not apply that to crocheting? When I knew that crocheting was my passion, I bought a set of hooks so that I would be "ready" no matter what size the pattern called for. And I agree with everyone about the tension. As with your recipes, try it out with what the pattern calls for. You should know well before you are too far into the pattern if it is to your liking. If you find it too bulky or loose, then go ahead and experiment with your favorite "go to hook" you feel most comfortable with the size of yarn you are using. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi All,
    A pattern called for a 'J' hook or 6mm hook. I have a 'I' hook and a 'K' hook but didn't find a 'J' hook so I went to the store and bought a 'J' hook. Do you go to the store and buy a hook to get the one you're supposed to have when you could substitute and use a hook that's close in size? we substitute in baking or don't put something in or just put something else in and sometimes we put in what we want besides what it calls for so why didn't I use a hook that was similar in size instead of going to the store and buying a hook?
    Jean Marie
    Hi Jean Marie, Thru the years I have bought so many hooks I have 2 of some of them. I do have my favorites tho, maybe I like a certain color better than the other one ... or i want to use one I have put a gripper on. I have grippers on most of the ones I use most of the time so I have them together in a little case I crocheted. But sometimes I can't find the hook I was using and so I have to hunt up the extra one. Sometimes I put the hook with an unfinished project and then I will get the exrea one out if I need it for another project. I have hooks from size E to M. I think I don't have a size L if there is one. I have and or two bigger plastic ones I have several of the longer ones I used for the afghan stitch. The afghan stitch has a new name now, I believe and can't remember what that name is right now..oh, yes,Tunisian stitch I believe it's called. Love ya , Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 10-19-2014 at 03:38 PM.