Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question making smaller sizes to patterns questions

Hi.I was wondering if a person could make a hat ,blanket,sweater,socks patterns smaller sts and rows by putting not as many sts and rows they say in the patterns so that it is smaller ? So it can fit better on different sizes If so ,How does a person figure it out ,adjust it ,calculate (do math)and do that?Could a person do that with any pattern?(I just want to know if it is possible?
    Any help and opinions would be nice.Thanks.
    Last edited by crochetknitfan; 11-22-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    crochetknitfan, I posted a tip yesterday about making an item that if you would like to make bigger. The concept holds true to make one smaller also. If you know the size you want do the math to calculate how many stitches you need to add or decrease. Unless you are very experienced at crochet and knitting it would be easier to find a pattern the size you would like to make. There are many ways to increase or decrease a pattern by changing yarn size and needle size you have to do a practice piece first before you start.

Based on some of your questions are you a beginner in crochet? Just wondering, it would help to know so we know how to help you.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula Yeah I m a beginner at knitting and crocheting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetknitfan View Post
    Hi Spoula Yeah I m a beginner at knitting and crocheting
    Hello crochetknitfan,
    Thanks for letting us know that you are a beginner. That helps a lot as to how we will answer your questions.

My mother-in-law knits and crochets beautifully her work looks like a machine made the items. She was taught at a very young age. After watching her knit I wanted to learn how. So I started watching you tube videos. I am a self taught knitter. It is easier to understand watching someone then it is to read what someone is trying to explain.
    We are still here if you get stuck that is what this forum is all about. I had help from several ladies when I started to knit and so I try to help others as I was helped.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 11-22-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that you can use a smaller hook if you want a smaller item and a bigger hook for a bigger item. I had crocheted a pattern for a small square - pretty sure it was for a 6 inch square, maybe 9 inches, and I used a larger hook and it turned out to be the size of a small pillow like you would put on a couch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    Yes, you could use a smaller hook or larger hook depending on what size you want. It also depends on the yarn and if you crochet loose or tight. On blankets, scarfs or items that don't need to fit that will work, but if you want the item to fit you need to check your gauge. If you can't match the specified gauge in the pattern then I would suggest using the math to get the desired fit. Currently I am just making baby items so if the item comes out too big hey, she will grow into it. Ha

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    @Crochetknitfan:

Seems to me if you are making something simple, like a dishcloth or scarf, and it's in 100% single crochet or 100% double crochet, that is easy as pie - you just make it as small or big as you want. You can use any size of hook generally speaking, but this technique is not infinitely usable. You can't use bulky yarn with 3mm hook, you will end up with a horse blanket.

However, if you are doing pattern stitches (combos of stitches to get a repetitive design), you usually cannot just start out with any number of stitches in the foundation chain. There are reference books that will tell you the necesssary number of chains in the foundation when you are making an object with these "pattern stitches: For example:

Multiples of 4 chains + 1
    Multiple of 10 chains + 6
    Multiple of 8 chains + 3
    Multiple of 3 chains + 3 and so on.

The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework
    is helpful. That manual also shows how to increase or decrease just about anything if you want to change things to suit yourself.

Anything more complicated than what I referred to above, just find a suitable pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi.what does pattern sts,combos of sts and repetitive designs mean?what does multiples of 4 chains + 1 mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetknitfan View Post
    Hi.what does pattern sts,combos of sts and repetitive designs mean?what does multiples of 4 chains + 1 mean?
    The answers can be found in the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework. I have seen this book in libraries. Also, it is worth buying. There are plenty of used copies available on amazon.com at cheap prices and in good condition. It has good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi.The book is kinda old.Can a person find out about that stuff from searching online on any websites?