Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Are free crochet patterns copywritten?

Hi, everybody!!

I am wondering if crochet patterns are copywritten? That interferes with using a pattern and selling it online.
    Does anybody know?

I appreciate your time!
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    The best rule of thumb is unless you created the pattern, then it is copyrighted. Usually, when you visit the site the pattern is on, you will see at the bottom a copyright symbol for the site.

This is especially true with anything posted on the internet after April 1, 1989.

Copyright Laws on the Internet

Usually, "free crochet patterns" are for personal use only unless the individual or website has stated that you can "make items from the pattern to sell."

3. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Clear as mud, LOLOL

I found this:
    [url=http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/info/copyright.html]Crochet Patterns, Knitting Patterns and Copyright Law | Free Patterns | Yarn[/url]

It applies to crochet and knit patterns.

And yes, it states what you said.

It also says this:

"How could we ever create something new?

Copyright law doesn't cover ideas or techniques, it only protects the particular way an idea is expressed. As long as you do not copy another designer's work, you may use a similar idea or the same techniques to create something new and unique. In a nutshell, you can use an underlying idea or technique, but you cannot copy someone else's unique way of expressing that idea or technique. If you are interested in designing and have further questions, please contact a lawyer familiar with copyright law for guidance."

Thank you, Barbi!!!
    XOXOX
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the actual copyright site. The first one above is from someone at Pitt State.

U.S. Copyright Office - What Does Copyright Protect? (FAQ)

This site has alot of info and reading.

By the way, info may be copyrighted and not even state this on the internet. This is another reason it is good to assume it is copyrighted.
    Last edited by Barbara G.; 08-25-2012 at 09:51 AM.

6. Likes stitch11, AuntyD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Barbi,

Ok, will do! Thank you so much for your feedback. I will not copy work, I will modify it with my own taste and with what I want to achieve. So this is like making jewellery too. Cool Beanies!!

XOXOXOX
    Landon

8. Likes Barbara G., Carynjoyb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, copyright can be tricky. Because some old patterns aren't copyrighted. I can't remember which upto date isn't copyrighted. As for how could anyone create something new, I know w/ 'wood' creations if you change it about 15%, it is no long original and becomes your original pattern. I was told one can't copyright a shirt but the pattern of the shirt you can. So, if you modify it, I beleive that should be OK, but double check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yawl are awesome, thank you so MUCH!!
    I emailed Lion Brand Yarn and they told me that ALL of [U]their[/U] patterns can be made and sold. But, that some of the patterns on their site might be made by someone else, so to check that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't sell anything from a pattern unless it says I can! I know most of the patterns say not to sell the actual pattern. And some of the patterns what you to put a link to their site on the finished product!

12. Likes Tracie Kae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add a note: take a quick look at the DROPS website's patterns - each one has copyright info at the bottom that is the most clear copyright info I've ever seen ... wish they all could be that clear! Crochet DROPS hat in “Cotton Viscose” and “Bomull-Lin”. Size S/M – M/L. ~ DROPS Design

14. Likes AuntyD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, MaryJane and Tracie Kae,

Thank you both for your feedback! I am learning so much about copyrights!!
    Yawl are awesome!!

XOXOX
    Landon

16. Likes Tracie Kae liked this post