Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Barbara,
    The yarn I have found that I like the least is Loops & Threads Country Loom. Boy is that a pain. It splits so easily and it is not a consistent thickness throughout the skein. I've noticed that there have been more than a few replies about RH Super Saver. For the most part I agree about the roughness. But I only buy the skeins that are soft to my cheek (on my face...not the other ones). I always, no matter what yarn, rub it on my cheek for softness before I will buy it. I have used many skeins of RHSS and find that it can be as soft as most every other yarn....I love the RH with Love yarn but it too can be too rough. If I need a certain color, and it's not soft enough, I wait until another shipment comes in and check it for softness before I buy. I also look in the "extra yarn bins under the shelves" for softer skeins if I can't find the softer ones on display. Still, no Country Loom for me unless they give it to me for free...lol. Have a great day everyone. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    Iam still new at this ( yup, gave up for a while) butb am planning on trying again soon. when i was doing practicce pieces, i found the shiny caron was beautiful, but a pit slippy, so i thought as a beginner i shoud try sometning easier...went to red heart and peaches and cream (which does want to split!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you dotbinmo about the Caron Shiny yarns. I can't say I have tried it because it seems to me it would be to slippery. They have some beautiful colors however, and I use other Caron yarns with no problem.

May I suggest you try going up one hook size to help with the yarn splitting. I find I can't use a size G or I split any yarn. My go to sizes are H and I for most 4 ply yarn.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by dotbinmo View Post
    Iam still new at this ( yup, gave up for a while) butb am planning on trying again soon. when i was doing practicce pieces, i found the shiny caron was beautiful, but a pit slippy, so i thought as a beginner i shoud try sometning easier...went to red heart and peaches and cream (which does want to split!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to mention that some hooks cause more yarn to split than others. I prefer Susan Bates hooks. Changing hooks may be worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    I would like to mention that some hooks cause more yarn to split than others. I prefer Susan Bates hooks. Changing hooks may be worth a try.
    Thank you for that wonderful tip. I nevery thought of that. I always thought all hooks were good I didn't know there was a difference but I guess it is just like yarn each one is a little different even thought it looks the same. I appreciate the tip and I will try these hooks sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Red Heart. It scratches, and pills, and never gets soft no matter how many times it is washed. Will never use it again. There are too many nice soft yarns out there that make a better finished project. If you are going to spend the money and especially the time to make something using knit or crochet, it should be worth the time you spend on it. There are some better yarns that are not that much more expensive. Especially if you can catch a sale, or use a discount coupon.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI for those who don't like boucle yarn, like aporfirio said the v-stitch or shell are good ones for that yarn, I found this video and her website is Mama's Stitchery and yo can go to her site from the video, this No Beginning Chain Asymmetric Shell Blanket (and you can do scarves or other things with it) is good for yarns that are too hard to find the stitches on. Thought some of you might be able to use some yarn with this site that you might not otherwise like to use.

I don't have any problems with any yarn that I've come across as of yet, except one that was in my first 'package' or 'lot' I bought from a lady off of a local craigslist ad to get me started crocheting, and it didn't have a label on it so I can't say what it was. But it looked unique like it wouldn't be sold just anywhere. I put that stuff up and said' forget it'! Even after I got more experienced in crochet I didn't like that yarn. It seemed to fall apart as I used it and tangle on any hook I tried, and if it's that un-enjoyable, why bother?!

I'm just careful to use certain yarns for certain projects, and I'm ok. Like the not so soft yarns are good for things like jar covers, potted plants, curtain tie -backs, etc. Things to wear are best with softer yarns, and my headbands I have no problem with most any yarn for them since certain stitches make yarns stretchier and softer feeling, but of course the softer yarn for them the better they feel.

8. Thanks aporfirio, Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my line of thinking pretty much too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Red Heart yarn, love the price and selection of colors but I hate the way it is spun, the two ends come out in the center, one end is the pulling end and as you pull the other end wraps around the pulling end so I have to constantly unwind the two or it becomes a knotted mess! If anyone has a solution to this problem I would love to know!

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a baby blanket with Prism yarn. Oh goodness it is so natty. It is hard to work with. And as for yarn with ties in them I get a lot of that at Walmart. I love getting my yarn at Hancock Fabric or Joann's there is not so much of ties in the middle. Have a nice day ladies and gents