Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Selling of Projects

I have recently purchased a pattern for some Disney characters. I realize I need to give the developer of the patterns credit for any character I make but....my question is...do I need to get permission from Disney to SELL any of the finished products and, if so, how do I go about doing that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whom did you purchase the pattern from? Was it from an original Disney site" Or was it a Disney look-alike on a site like Etsy? If it is a a Disney trademarked pattern I'm not sure you are allowed to sell it. If it was a copywrite pattern from a private seller/designer you may have to get that person's permission.

Post Thanks / Like
    A while ago I came across a crocheter's site that had many licensed character patterns for sale. As far as the pattern maker was concerned, selling the items made from her patterns was not a problem with HER, but she warned that the companies holding the rights to those characters might have a different opinion. For what it's worth, I contacted many pattern companies (Leisure Arts, Lion Brand, etc.) and all of them wrote back that they did not give me permission to sell any items made from their patterns. I have a sneaking suspicion that Disney or other cartoon company would voice the same sentiment even stronger. I know many people do sell licensed characters on the sly, but I sure wouldn't want to be caught.