Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Mom's Shawl

Post Thanks / Like

Mom's Shawl

I recently visited my Aunt Maggie at the Hospice House in Omaha,NE. I had given my Aunt a shawl I had crocheted for mother,a few years ago, at mom's funeral a year ago. That same shawl was on a chair in Aunt Maggie's room and my cousin and his wife said that Aunt Maggie had used it a lot in the past year,just as my mother had done because she always felt cold. It was comforting that my crochet helped in some small way.

2. Thanks SweetARoma, ginny2228 thanked for this post
    Likes billiebob, SweetARoma, ginny2228, cybarra liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a heartwarming story. Your mom's love (and yours too by crocheting it) was around your Aunt Maggie. Were they sisters?

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Your love is what keeps them warm. Angels are among us even though we don't see their wings. Bless you my dear.
    Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes,they were sisters who married brothers. Mom died last August. Aunt Maggie is 92.

Post Thanks / Like
    This, Dona, is a very encouraging and loving story that folks will remember for a long time. We all have hopes that some of the things that we have lovingly crafted by crochet will become objects that can comfort someone through a rough time, or possibly be passed along as an heirloom in a family. Keep your hook working as you never know when your stitching will be an encouragement to someone else along the way.
    Hugs,
    Roma

Post Thanks / Like
    So nice-- maybe she imaged you hugging her while she warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dona, sounds like your crochet helped in a very big way. That's wonderful & very sweet. And our crochet and our memories lives on.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom died a few years ago and she had gotten a knitted one from my prayer shawl group, then she loved purple and lavendar, so i gave her a knotted fleece one that she took to dialases with her. When she died, i ask my sister that live in the same city with her where her shawls were and she said that it was in her bag of crocheting and plastic canvas that she always carried with her. She said we could share it, but i said i did not want to share it, because i have a afghan mom made me and i just wanted it to be where it was loved. I only got to see my mom twice a year, and she was the one who helped her, not out of duty, but out of love, so i felt she needed more than me. Hand to hand and heart to heart are our prayer shawls. Now my sister has the shawl that i put all that love into and prayer and blessings from our church. I commend you on your crocheting for family etc. I live in a small town in south eastern ohio, so everytime i go uptown to a store or to the library i see someone i know and i get so many hugs for the shawls i have given out. That gives me so much comfort and love. Hugs are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your kind reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm crocheting a shawl right now for my mother-in-law for her 97th birthday on Aug. 5th. She is very tiny and I found a pattern for the Zinnia Flower Shawl and I am using Bernat handicrafter cotton yarn as she doesn't like the feel of wool. It is turning out really well, I sure hope she likes it.