Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question for other crocheters

I know I can post this question here and you will understand. I have been invited to a cookout the end of the month by a good friend who is also a crocheter.

My question is to you all .....Is it rude to take my crochet along and work on it there? I don't know her family very well, but we have met before. Summer before last I went without my crochet and the conversation lagged a lot for me. I can crochet and hold my own in a conversation with the best of them I think. So I wouldn't be hiding in a corner ignoring others.

Just wondering how others would handle a situation like this.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judi, you said she is a crocheter too as a crocheter I would not be offended if someone came to my home and brought their crochet project with them!! It's not like you would be say, on the phone carrying on a conversation with someone else or on an IPad or tablet like you weren't interested in what is going on around you!! Like you said you can crochet AND talk at the same time and could always put it away any time you wanted or felt the need to! I would take my work with me I have before with out any problems. Usually people are asking me oh what are you making or I wish I could do that!! The other thing is you can always ask her if she minds!! Have a good day. Winnie

3. Likes LeadFrogger, missro007, Mary Laposta liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Judi: I always carry my work with me. I even took it to jury duty with me! Sometimes it helps with a conversation lag too! It is better to sit and crochet than to get twitchy and stressed! Take it with and not to worry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Judi, Most of the women in my family sit around and either play games or text someone on their phones. I think that is so rude so I take my crocheting with me and when the conversation starts lagging because every one is doing something on their phones, I am sitting there working on my crochet. I am like you I can carry on a conversation while crocheting. But they can't while playing on their phones. I also take it with me to a dr's office when I have to sit and wait.. If this person is also a crocheter she may bring her's out ,too. Margaret.

6. Thanks Lili thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't normally bring my crocheting to a personal event like that. I will bring it to a drs office, jury duty, babysitting or puppysitting, if I have the time if the kids or puppy is asleep (LOL), any place where I know I will have to wait.

Roe

8. Likes Mary Laposta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take it with me, but maybe wait and see how things are going. You can always go back to the car and get it. If you carry a large handbag put it in that. Then it is right there. I think it is rude to text on a phone all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judi,
    I'm new to this site but perfectly understand what you are saying. I now take my crochet bag EVERYWHERE I go. I too can hold my own in almost any situation while crocheting. I make a few things to sale and also make for charity. Just can't stop, I'm simply hooked, no pun intended.
    I think you should bring your crocheting and then decide whether to bring it out or not. At least you will have it with you if you decide to crochet. Enjoy your cookout, one way or another.

11. Likes LeadFrogger, missro007, Mary Laposta liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone, it seems we all feel the same way. I will take it along with me. I am in need of some new pot holders and dish cloths, good project for that.

Happy Crocheting to all,
    Judi G

13. Likes LeadFrogger, Mary Laposta liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am SO glad someone asked this question! whenever I go to my in-laws for any dinner or special occasion, they play cards after eating. I have never been a card player, and am just plain STUPID about it! So I do NOT enjoy it, and don't join in! I have longed to be crocheting EVERY time! Thank you for your opinions!!

15. Likes missro007, MeerKat, Mary Laposta liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

party crochet

Hi Ladies,

How would you feel if you saw a woman crocheting in church? I think that would be a bit odd. For me it would be strange for me to see a woman crocheting at a get together why not bring a gift instead that you made and leave it at that and relax and have a coke or a glass of wine and try to make a new friend. You might meet someone who wants to learn to crochet or has other artistic talent.
    I don't have a problem if you take your project to a Doctor's office or train station or anywhere else you have to wait around but I guess I am just old school about these things. Sorry