Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I take mine with me almost everywhere I go. It's a conversation starter in & of itself sometimes! Folks ask what ur making or how can they learn. I don't take it to church tho! Lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Meerkat, I would take it with me, but maybe wait and see how things are going.

Post Thanks / Like
    dipark has a point, there a some places that it is really not cool to crochet at. However, gatherings are in an iffy position. Depending on the event dipark is right that you don't want to crochet, even if you can multi-task and talk at the same time. On the other hand if you're at a gathering where people know you, and know that you crochet or there's not much going on activity wise, then I don't see why you can't crochet at the event. I have done so. There is no harm in at least bringing it on the off chance that you are not otherwise entertained.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do others do at this event, or what have they done in the past? Are others doing anything that could be considered "personal" or only for themselves? You may be making something for another person, but the act is only inclusive of yourself.

If the gathering is boring, or requires too much of a time commitment then leave when you are no longer enjoying yourself. You can then go home and crochet.

I think crocheting in a public place where waiting is part of being in public (long lines, offices, public transport, etc.) and your presence is not expected to be important to others, is absolutely fine. However, when personally invited to attend an event, then I do not think crocheting during the event would be very polite. Or, when attending an event where your attention and participation is expected, required or important (church service, weddings, baptisms, graduations, etc.) to crochet would be impolite.

Personally, I would not accept an invitation to an event that would bore me so badly I'd need to entertain myself through crocheting, reading or some other solitary event. I value my time too much!

5. Likes little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judi... Unless your work is BIG I would put it in my purse o bag and have it ready to work on...If the person is a friend, ask her how she would feel or how her family might feel.
    have seen messages about beople being offended if crocheting is done while watching TV, which amazes me 'cause I always craft while doing something else..most crafter/crocheter do that I think.

7. Likes MeerKat, dragondrummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am never offended by someone crocheting or knitting at any event. I try not to judge others, especially without fully knowing their story. For me, crocheting helps center me and keeps me present, which is the perfect place to be when visiting with others. It is an excellent topic. Thanks for raising it!
    Auntie Alice

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Judi. I take my needlework everywhere I go. If I'm in a situation where I am uncertain of the proper thing to do, I always ask my host or the person I'm sitting with if they would mind me working on my project. Last week I went to an informal opera matinee and I asked the gentleman sitting next to me if he minded my stitching during the performance. We had a very nice conversation about his late wife and how she loved all kinds of needlework. He said her hands were always busy and he didn't mind at all if I worked a little. Not everyone will feel this way, so I always ask. Good luck! Betsy

10. Likes AuntieAlice, missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judi, My crocheting goes every place with me. I don't like to sit idle. So, take it with you. Enjoy!!

12. Likes dragondrummer, missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeerKat View Post
    I would take it with me, but maybe wait and see how things are going. You can always go back to the car and get it. If you carry a large handbag put it in that. Then it is right there. I think it is rude to text on a phone all the time.
    I'm like you I carry mine in the car, that way it is always there if I need if. We went this weekend to a cousins, I had not see for about 2 plus years. I brought my crocheting but it never came out of the car as we had a real nice visit, she knits and didn't get hers out either, but I did work on it on the way home. Hubby drove lol.
    charlye

14. Likes MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I too would not bring my knitting or crochet to a social event. It is meant to be spent with people. I bring my wips many places but not BBQs or parties. Just my thought that people might be offended as one using their phones etc.