Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Something I didn't know..

Been doing crochet for a while now, and found out an interesting tip just yesterday, regarding crocheting in the round. I have always just followed a pattern, so I never really paid attention to this, but when crocheting in the round and you want your piece to remain round and flat, you will increase your number of stitches in each round, by the exact same number of stitches in the starting round.

For instance, if you start a magic circle with 12 double crochets, you will add 12 stitches to each round after that. So for round 2, you will increase by 12, and round 2 will be 24 stitches (2 dc in each stitch). Round 3, add 12, so you will have 36 (2 dc in every other stitch), and for round 4, when you add 12, you will have 48 (2 dc in every 3rd stitch).

I never knew that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great advice. I didn't know that either and I've been crocheting for many years. I haven't done much in the round but with this handy tip, I'll have to work on more round projects Thanks TxGirl. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

3. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi TxGirl, I never heard that either and will defineately have to try it. Not doubting your word mind you just gotta see it for myself :-) very interesting indeed!! Don't you just love the magic circle? Oh my goodness, I have been using it for some time and I think it's great especially since everyone always wants a new hat!! That ok I like making hats actually I like making anything that someone else can enjoy! Have a good night hugs Winnie

5. Thanks TxGirl thanked for this post
    Likes TxGirl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Never knew that either. I rarely make pieces (unless they are hats) in the round, only because I never needed to. Will have to give it a try,.

Still trying to figure out that magic circle thing. Someone is going to show it to me when I show her how to do the join as you go granny. I know there are videos for magic circle but I hate watching those.

You learn something new every day.

Roe

7. Thanks TxGirl thanked for this post
    Likes Susan2014, TxGirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelly, Miss your sweet messages on here. Hows your Ankle etc. BFF !!

9. Thanks TxGirl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    TxGirl I am excited to try this and I like doing Rounds. Will try one day soon. Thank You for sharing this.

11. Thanks TxGirl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of this before.

13. Thanks TxGirl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip, TxGirl. I do the rounds quite a bit on things. This is ag reat forum. Simply love it. Someone always has a great tip.
    Thanks again. Vornie

15. Thanks TxGirl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not tried to crochet anything in the round before, but it sounds like it could be fun. Thanks for sharing that tip!
    Auntie Alice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGirl View Post
    Been doing crochet for a while now, and found out an interesting tip just yesterday, regarding crocheting in the round. I have always just followed a pattern, so I never really paid attention to this, but when crocheting in the round and you want your piece to remain round and flat, you will increase your number of stitches in each round, by the exact same number of stitches in the starting round.

For instance, if you start a magic circle with 12 double crochets, you will add 12 stitches to each round after that. So for round 2, you will increase by 12, and round 2 will be 24 stitches (2 dc in each stitch). Round 3, add 12, so you will have 36 (2 dc in every other stitch), and for round 4, when you add 12, you will have 48 (2 dc in every 3rd stitch).

I never knew that!
    That is good to know. And I really love the colors of your yarn... I love variegated colors too. Patty