Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I never looked at it this way myself. Thanks this will be a big help in the future. I know I always check my Inc. by the round # I am on. Example. I count the number of sts between Incs. always making the Inc in the last stitch. So round 4 would be st, st, Inc.....for a total of 4 sts for round 4. I hope that isn't so confusing I always have people look at me with a big question on their face. But I can put it down for months and pick it back up and easily find my place.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by TxGirl View Post
    Been doing crochet for a while now, and found out an interesting tip just yesterday, regarding crocheting in the round. I have always just followed a pattern, so I never really paid attention to this, but when crocheting in the round and you want your piece to remain round and flat, you will increase your number of stitches in each round, by the exact same number of stitches in the starting round.

For instance, if you start a magic circle with 12 double crochets, you will add 12 stitches to each round after that. So for round 2, you will increase by 12, and round 2 will be 24 stitches (2 dc in each stitch). Round 3, add 12, so you will have 36 (2 dc in every other stitch), and for round 4, when you add 12, you will have 48 (2 dc in every 3rd stitch).

I never knew that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ankle is coming along slowly but will be okay eventually. Dr said it would take a year to be able to walk normally but, God willing, I'll have the time
    Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for sharing that info. I ve never done any round projects. Mom started one years ago but I think Ive given that project away. So much yarn I feel like a hoarder!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    Hmmm, I never looked at it this way myself. Thanks this will be a big help in the future. I know I always check my Inc. by the round # I am on. Example. I count the number of sts between Incs. always making the Inc in the last stitch. So round 4 would be st, st, Inc.....for a total of 4 sts for round 4. I hope that isn't so confusing I always have people look at me with a big question on their face. But I can put it down for months and pick it back up and easily find my place.

Judi G
    I have been keeping track of the increases by counting the rows for several years now--it's a great way! For instance, on row 4, you increase in the 4th stitch; in row 5, increase on the fifth stitch, and so on! Also was aware of the first suggestion--but never actually thought of it that way!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is more mathematics in needle arts than you think! My mom, who taught me as a kid, was a math major at UC Berkeley. She pointed out the relationship of math concepts in crochet and knitting. All the math hasn't stopped me from crocheting yet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Been crocheting for years and never paid attention, just read the pattern and kept on going. Really good to know. Thanks, Carol

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I would add to this excellent information is that when you are adding stitches be sure to add them in the same pattern throughout the work. That is to say, don't do all the increases in one area, as you will throw the work out of round. Be sure for each increase, there is an equal and opposite increase. (Opposite in terms of location. If you are increasing in every third stitch, be sure to do that all the way around, and not clump all the increases in one area).