Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14

Post Thanks / Like

Granny Square Question

Ever since I have been crocheting granny squares I have been chaining 2 in between the groups of 3 double crochets. I recently have started chaining 1 in between my groups of 3 double crochets. I still use 2 chains in the corners. I find it makes my squares more square. I was just wondering how many of you use 2 chains and how many just use 1 chain? Which is right? 1 chain or 2 chains?

2. Thanks Barbara G. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used 2 chains, thats the way I was taught yrs. ago.
    Have a Great Day !!! Kathy

4. Likes Barbara G., Lynda Fey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Smile 2 chain or not 2 chain

I figure the correct technique is the one you like best and that gives you a good finished product. I ch1 between the groupings of 3dc and I always ch3 in the corners.

Aside, from granny squares or motifs, one thing I do differently than every book or pattern I have seen (for a project that requires crocheting back and forth) is at the beginning of each row and after the turning chain is made, I make my next stitch in the base of the turning chain. It produces a firm, straight edge, much more so than the usual method. I still count the turning chain as the first stitch and at the end of the row I have a firm stitch below to make my last stitch. It produces the look of a selvage and makes sewing pieces together so much easier. I know it's not "correct" but I prefer the look. So don't be afraid to break the rules an have fun experimenting. After all, isn't that what designers do?

6. Thanks kiti13 thanked for this post
    Likes Barbara G., Lynda Fey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no right or wrong way- they are to measure 6 inches. So yours if different then others it is a NEW pattern.
    Truly there so MANY way to do the general Granny Sq. So don't worry. Teeeeheee
    Enjoy yourself is the name of the game.
    charlye (you are on my list so I don't mind.)

8. Likes Barbara G., Lynda Fey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't ch 1 in between my 3 dc groups since I like a closer look but that's my preference. Depending on what I am using the granny squares for and how I am joining them, I will chain either one or if the pattern calls for it and some do, I will chain three in the corners. There is one specific pattern that I need to ch 1 between the 3 DC groups since the next row consists of single crochet , chain three and single crochet around. And I agree there really is no right or wrong.

Roe

10. Likes Barbara G., Lynda Fey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Roe View Post
    I don't ch 1 in between my 3 dc groups since I like a closer look but that's my preference. Depending on what I am using the granny squares for and how I am joining them, I will chain either one or if the pattern calls for it and some do, I will chain three in the corners. There is one specific pattern that I need to ch 1 between the 3 DC groups since the next row consists of single crochet , chain three and single crochet around. And I agree there really is no right or wrong.

Roe
    Hi Shirly and alll the rest of you out there. I am feeling better this morning and last evening I was able to go to Steak and Shake with my kids and a friend from church. Thanks for your prayers all of you.
    Now about the chain question.... I too don't believe there is no right or wrong answer to that question. Sometimes I find myself doing no chain on the sides and the other times I am doing 1 chain on the sides and 2 in the corners or maybe 3 in the corners. Whichever looks best to me at the time, I think it depends on how I am feeling that day. Sometimes I think it's the kind of yarn or how tight I am crocheting that makes the decision for me. I don't think there is really a set rule. If I am using a pattern I usually try to go by what the pattern says unless don't like the way it looks or I stray from the pattern. When it comes right down to it , do it the way it looks best to you and have fun while doing it! Love you all xoxoxoxoxo, Patty

12. Likes Barbara G., Lynda Fey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Patty,
    I'm glad you're feeling better. It was a while since i've done a granny square and I didn't have the computer on and I kind of remembered your directions for a granny square and I don't think it was quite the same as the directions. It came out to be 8 inches but I liked the way it looked. Then again last night I made another one. Took it out a few times but ended up w/ one I liked. I thought it was going to be the same as the other square I did but it's different.

What I did: ch 4. slip stitch in 1st ch. to join. ch2, dc in loop 11 times(12 dc total). Next row:dc, ch 1, dc in the spaces (or between the stitches)except on corners 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in same stitch. for the next 3 rows do the same thing except dc in the stitches and you have a 6 inch square.

My 8 inch square was the same except I dc in st for 6 rows.
    Jean Marie

14. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive done both ---2ch in corner does make it more square.

16. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

granny squares

Hi,

I do it just like you do (1 in between and 2 in corners) and they come out perfectly square every time. I saw the pictures of Barbara's surprise box and now I feel like my granny squares are too simple for the exchange and I guess I need to learn something more complicated. I have only been crocheting for about a year and a half but I feel confident with my skill level.

Good luck!

Diane

18. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The best part of Crochet is making it yours. IQ was taught and still Crochet 1 chain between each group of 3 and then on the corners, 2 chains. Everybody does it their own way. . : )

20. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post