Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

My outlook on crochet

A woman wrote a popular book titled something like (How) Crochet Saved My Life. I can completely relate to that book, and while it might sound a little extreme to some people, I have serious health issues that don't allow me to do most of the things I want to, and I'm home almost all the time, so believe me, while I keep busy in many ways, interesting, fun or exciting things that don't get old fast are hard to come by! I pace out everything I do daily in order to do it as I'm able while not overdoing. Crochet has brought me great joy and is something I can do most of the time, even only if in small time quantities sometimes. I think the book is supposed to show humor while being serious, which I agree with! Why I learned to crochet was mainly because I needed some dish towels and wash cloths & didn't want to pay the store prices, nor could I find colors I needed. Making my own popped into mind & I don't have a sewing machine, but crochet and yarn are ideas that became a reality. I got yarn on craigslist from a lady who was selling out for some reason, I got a variety "lot" of yarn from her for 40.00 and it was a good deal. Then, a kind friend sent me her mothers crochet hooks, every size that exists, because her mother used to crochet before she passed & my friend wanted the hooks to get put to good use. Wow, was I lucky, and so just like that I was in the 'crochet business' so to speak!

What I did & also suggest to others new to crochet is to look online, and youtube is great since you can search for things you'd like to make, or start w/a flower or wash/dish cloth, something simple for a beginner from the youtube channel pages of people like Yolanda Lopez, bobwilson123, Meladora's Crochet Creations, Hectanooga1, Crochet Crowd, Crochet Geek, Maggie Weldon, iknitwithcatfur, sheruknitting, etc., these are some fantastic teachers among many others, find something you'd like to make and jump right in there and follow along w/their videos. You can stop, go backwards, restart, pull out mistakes, whatever! You can contact these people & they'll contact you back! Then before you know it, you'll be going to your next piece of work...I now want to make almost everything I see, lol, and there are a TON of things to make so that ain't gonna happen, but my point is, just start, and you probably won't be able to stop.

We learn from mistakes on crochet so it's ok to do that, and believe me, everyone says they mess up some to begin with, but to mainly enjoy what you're doing and don't take it so seriously that you don't enjoy it. I bookmarked hundreds of sites of tips, stitches, teachers, patterns, you name it, for a couple of months, then I got my hooks & yarn out & went to town. I've made so many things already that I still can't believe the collection that I still have after I've used, given away, am keeping for future gifts, and yes, even sold a few pieces by request (!). So now I have one of my truly favorite crafts of all time as a beloved part of my life. Good luck & enjoyment to us all, new crocheters & those who've crocheted for many years.

2. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan, First let me welcome you to crochet talk I'm so glad you joined our group which is now your group! What an awesome introduction!! You have such a great outlook and attitude and a real inspiration, thank you for your post. I think your name says it all, Susan's Soul Shines I have a feeling this is very true in your live and has carried you through the hard times!! I look forward to getting to know you :-) hugs Winnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Without my hard headed attitude be nowhere! I'm glad to get to know you and be involved w/the group

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the book, "Crochet Saved My Life" and I can relate to the author. Crochet is my own "therapy," too. I purchased the ebook from Amazon for my Kindle Fire.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like

about the book

Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    I have the book, "Crochet Saved My Life" and I can relate to the author. Crochet is my own "therapy," too. I purchased the ebook from Amazon for my Kindle Fire.

Shelley
    Hi Pixieglitter, good to hear from you. I've not yet read the book but it sure sounds like I need to! I've heard a lot of people say that crochet is their therapy. I thought maybe it would be too tedious & nerve wracking, but I found it to be the opposite. I made some jewelry in 2011-2012 and it was ok but not nearly as satisfying as crochet, and the supplies are definitely more numerous. Then the supply companies started selling pre-made jewelry at prices lower than you can buy supplies at. But to take a strand or two of yarn and a hook or needles and end up w/the things we can make still surprises me. Nice to meet you!

7. Likes little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's very nice to meet you too, and welcome to our boards. I think you'll really like the people here.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and happy hooking!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't read the book but I can relate that crochet, over the years, has been very therapeutic for me. I learned from my mom, who passed in 2012 and I was a pre-teen. Neither one of us ever thought it would become a lifelong passion for me. Now I am involved in charity crocheting and it is just so rewarding. I also do personal gifts for others.

It's amazing how crochet has evolved over the years. The amount of books, leaflets, newer yarns, hooks, you name it, it seems to be out there. And the Internet opened up a whole new world to others also.

Keep calm and crochet on.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    Without my hard headed attitude be nowhere! I'm glad to get to know you and be involved w/the group
    Your post is inspirational to all of us. At some point we all need a friend with your wonderful view on life. Thanks and welcome. Tawnya

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome home, so to speak! I find I can spend/lose hours online here reading posts from others. It does help me feel connected to others who love crochet as I do. Sometimes I wonder how I will find enough time to even start all of the wonderful projects I have learned about here!

You have a beautiful spirit. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Cheers, Alice
    Auntie Alice

13. Likes little drummer liked this post