Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question American Flag Potholder

I found a pattern for American Flag Potholders and was real anxious to start working on one. I found that it called for the Lily Sugar & Cream 4 Ply Cotton " I really like it for Potholders and dish cloths" But the pattern calls for a size 7 hook. I am finding it not to work very well. The thread splits on such a small hook. Any suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried using one hook bigger? It may make it easier to work with? I don't remember Sugar & Cream yarn splitting when I have used it in the past. Others will be along too to add their suggestions.

3. Thanks Deniselorane thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think that it refers to the small steel hooks. If you look at your G and H hook you will see a number. A 7 hook is between a G and an H hook size. If you are a tight crocheter than use an H, if you work loosely, then go with the G.

5. Thanks Deniselorane thanked for this post
    Likes Susan2014, little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the suggestion, I will try it and let you know how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, there is a size 7 in aluminum, made by Susan Bates. I found out about it when I saw it in a book and emailed Jean Leinhauser because I thought it was an error and she said it was a new size. I then found it online and in AC Moore.

Roe

8. Thanks Deniselorane thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I kn ow that there is a size 7 hook but it is usually very hard to find. For a project like a potholder, it wouldn't make much of a difference if you used a hook slightly larger or slightly smaller than called for. I know some people like to use the recommended size. Quite often I make adjustments according to what materials I have on hand.

10. Thanks Deniselorane thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what I would do mamarose22.

12. Thanks Deniselorane thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    American Flag Potholder-photo-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniselorane View Post
    I found a pattern for American Flag Potholders and was real anxious to start working on one. I found that it called for the Lily Sugar & Cream 4 Ply Cotton " I really like it for Potholders and dish cloths" But the pattern calls for a size 7 hook. I am finding it not to work very well. The thread splits on such a small hook. Any suggestions ?
    Thank you for all the advise. I used a H hook and it only changed the total size by 1"each way. It worked out fine. Thank you again

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had yarn splitting too when using Sugar & Cream cotton yarn with a size G hook. I've found it extremely helpful if I use a Susan Bates G hook, instead of a Boye brand hook. The hook ends are shaped differently, and the Susan Bates hooks work great for me with Sugar & Cream yarn.

It all depends on what type of yarn I'm using when I choose the shape of my hook. I hope this works for you too.

Shelley

15. Thanks Deniselorane thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    I've had yarn splitting too when using Sugar & Cream cotton yarn with a size G hook. I've found it extremely helpful if I use a Susan Bates G hook, instead of a Boye brand hook. The hook ends are shaped differently, and the Susan Bates hooks work great for me with Sugar & Cream yarn.
    It all depends on what type of yarn I'm using when I choose the shape of my hook. I hope this works for you too.
    Shelley
    I prefer the Susan Bates hooks for practically all my crocheting,

17. Thanks Deniselorane thanked for this post
    Likes Susan2014 liked this post