Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

View Poll Results: How would you prefer to buy a $4 - $8 pattern?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Download instructions, pay with PayPal.com

9 42.86%
  • Download instructions, pay with credit card

2 9.52%
  • buy an e-book from Amazon

1 4.76%
  • print copy from a yarn store

0 0%
  • print copy from a website

6 28.57%
  • print copy from a catalogue

0 0%
  • I only use free patterns or borrow from library/a friend

6 28.57%
  • look for a website that has a free version of the pattern

6 28.57%
  • Other, please explain

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What format do you want your patterns in?

I can see that most people here use free patterns, which is quite understandable. If you were to love a pattern so much that you would be willing to pay between $4 and $8 for it, what would be the format in which you would like to buy it?

The reason I am asking is purely for research. I am a designer, but I do not give away my patterns for free. Each pattern can take me about 4 to 12 hours to plan, design, and write and that doesn't include the time to make the finished sample for the photography, and I have to pay a technical editor to ensure that there are nor errors in my pattern. Designing contributes about 10% of my household income, and I can't afford to design and give it away. I am not asking anyone at Crochet Talk to buy my patterns, but I just want to know what the crocheters here feel and think about buying patterns.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Charles Voth; 04-26-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: modifying instructions

2. Thanks Carynjoyb thanked for this post
    Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Poll: How would you prefer to buy a $4 - $8 pattern?

I prefer to Download instructions, pay with PayPal.com
    ---crochetdiva

4. Likes Charles Voth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also prefer to download and use paypal.

6. Likes Charles Voth liked this post

Moved to Vacaville, Ca, now in Sacramento
    Post Thanks / Like
    I download and use paypal. They are usually PDF

8. Likes Charles Voth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Charles,
    I like my patterns with words and photos, not charted. If I purchase a pattern, I like to be able to print it out and save in a file for later.
    Caryn Joy
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Voth View Post

I can see that most people here use free patterns, which is quite understandable. If you were to love a pattern so much that you would be willing to pay between $4 and $8 for it, what would be the format in which you would like to buy it?

The reason I am asking is purely for research. I am a designer, but I do not give away my patterns for free. Each pattern can take me about 4 to 12 hours to plan, design, and write and that doesn't include the time to make the finished sample for the photography, and I have to pay a technical editor to ensure that there are nor errors in my pattern. Designing contributes about 10% of my household income, and I can't afford to design and give it away. I am not asking anyone at Crochet Talk to buy my patterns, but I just want to know what the crocheters here feel and think about buying patterns.

Thanks for your help.

10. Likes Charles Voth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Charles I prefer download pay with Paypal!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am like the others. I download and use PayPal. I feel safe using PayPal. I can then print or save my pattern. Thanks for asking. Such talent to be able to design something. I modify to fit what I want but have never started from scratch.
    Katie
    Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    So many are un-nerved by modifying to fit, however, so kudos to you for taking that challenge on and trying something new!
    Thanks for responding to the poll! I am thinking of setting up an online course to teach people how to modify patterns to fit their own shape. I do it when I make things for my wife because she's tall and high-waisted, and wants things to cover her hips part-way down, or to sit on her high-hips, depending on the garment and what season it's for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustygirl View Post
    I am like the others. I download and use PayPal. I feel safe using PayPal. I can then print or save my pattern. Thanks for asking. Such talent to be able to design something. I modify to fit what I want but have never started from scratch.
    Katie

14. Likes Dustygirl, justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i am 3rd generation poor and my Grandmother taught me the basics of crochet and how to look at an item and figure out how it was made , certain things are universal (like the 3chain between clusters). If you can "read" the previous row and see the separate stitches when you are following a pattern then you can read the picture of an item. the last really new stitch i couldn't figure out was the crocodile, i would have paid for that. I like to design or tweak others patterns to make them different. Right now I'm trying to make a pattern for a parasol, because i didn't find a pattern i liked.
    Last edited by Kitty; 04-30-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not use Pay Pal so prefer credit/debit card.