Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last

Thread: Crochet Problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie, I just went onto the Leisure Arts website and it is there for $4.95...there is also a downloadable version for $2.48... Search for it by: "Crochet pocket guide"

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie, I also had trouble crocheting a plain square! I finally realized that I was skipping that last stitch because it was so tiny and difficult. When I realized it was the top chain in the turning chain, I deliberately made it a little larger. Marking it with a pin would be better because you could pull it open to insert your hook.
    At the first stitch in the row, I was putting my stitch in the first stitch of the turning chain which made a bulge along the edge! Only experience will show you how to recognise the last stitch in the previous row. I think I have finally learned it. I hope sol I hate having to count more than 20 stitches!
    As for splitting yarns, I saw this question about another yarn and someone mantioned that it might be because she was starting with the wrong end of the yarn and it was untwisting and making it easier to split. I like a center pull ball but some companies put the end in so far it is almost impossible to find it. I have come to the conclusion that there is a reason for that and now I unwind it from the outside. I don't know what difference it would make, but I tried it out on that particular brand of yarn and it did seem to make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like just what I need! and obviously others may need it, too. Thank you, Beviboo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Recognizing the last stitch is always hard at first. If you read over your pattern first and find out if you will have to make a stitch in the turning chain of a previous row, you can as Carrie suggests, make the stitch a bit larger so its easier to see and work in. Practice will help too.

5. Likes Judi Gums, Janie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a pin for a Place Marker has been mentioned. I have been using Paper Clips. I finally found the video where I learned how to make them and thought all crocheters should know how to do it. Go to: futuregirl craft blog
    Connie Haney is her name and I think she is in AllFree Crochet. Hope I made good enough notes for you to find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Carrie for the good tip on using paper clips for stitch markers. You look at things much like I do, use things from around the house or that you can find close to home in the stores. I use bobby pins and they work out well for me also.

I really love hearing others tips, it's so good to hear about things I haven't yet thought about. Keep the tips coming.

I use a new small plastic trash can, it stands about 15 inches tall and I can put several skeins or balls of yarn in it while I am working on a project. This keeps them from falling on the floor......I have a German Shepherd who sheds 24/7. I just pull out the strand of yarn I am working on and the others are there for when I need to change colors.

Thanks again.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Using a pin for a Place Marker has been mentioned. I have been using Paper Clips. I finally found the video where I learned how to make them and thought all crocheters should know how to do it. Go to: futuregirl craft blog
    Connie Haney is her name and I think she is in AllFree Crochet. Hope I made good enough notes for you to find it.

8. Likes Janie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Judi, and all others, I do not know how to use this site. I cannot find a forum that is just for hints and tips. Can anyone tell me how to look for it?
    I have another tip. I bought a metal can of Pepperidge Farm Creme Filled Pirouette rolled wafers. (There are other brands) They are delicious, but when I found the metal can was just the size of a long skein of yarn, I bought 3 more just for yarn, (yes, I did eat them!). I put it on the floor and pull the yarn out and hang it over something higher than my left hand so it has just the right tension for knitting or crocheting. It does have to be a center pull skein.

10. Likes Judi Gums, Beviboo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Carrie, At the top of this page you will see, on the left side, links for the Forum, Main Category and Main. Click on Main and you will see an option for starting a new thread. There isn't really an official place to put tips and such except for in the main category. Whenever someone has something to share that has to do with crocheting, they start a thread there. For non-crocheting conversations, the thread should be started in the category "Chit Chat." Starting new threads helps keep the conversations on topic and easier to find if you want to go back and look for something specific at a later date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update to my homespun afghan...where this thread started, where I almost stopped, where this afghan was considered for my cat, where I was inspired by all of you...where I put it away for awhile...where I pulled it all out and started all over and....
    I am now 2 skeins away from the finished piece!! Thank you all for the inspiration and tips that made me stay with it. Although it has taken me much longer than I expected and many many frustrating days.....I am almost there and I think it will definitely be my most memorable if nothing else.
    As soon as it's finished, I will next tackle posting a picture for all you because there is a little piece of all of you in it.
    Thank You Again and stay tuned.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeahhhhh!!!!! Way to go Janie. I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your Homespun afghan. I do love the colors of the yarn.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Update to my homespun afghan...where this thread started, where I almost stopped, where this afghan was considered for my cat, where I was inspired by all of you...where I put it away for awhile...where I pulled it all out and started all over and....
    I am now 2 skeins away from the finished piece!! Thank you all for the inspiration and tips that made me stay with it. Although it has taken me much longer than I expected and many many frustrating days.....I am almost there and I think it will definitely be my most memorable if nothing else.
    As soon as it's finished, I will next tackle posting a picture for all you because there is a little piece of all of you in it.
    Thank You Again and stay tuned.....