Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Crochet Problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Carolyn Crye,

Nice to have you here. I too would suggest you go to Youtube, look up crochet tutorials and you can watch good videos on a lots of different stitches. Start with the beginning ones just to learn to identify the stitches better. Then take some scrap yarn and make little swatches. In fact you can make nice pot holders with the SC alone. Always nice to have something to show for your time stitching. I normally chain 30 for pot holders, but you can make them any size you like.

I am looking forward to hearing about your others projects. And remember we ALL have to rip out and re-do stitches. I have found one thing that works for me if I decide I don't like what is happening in my crocheting. I make a lot of afghans and I often make up my stitch patterns as I go along. On a couple of them I have worked up an entire skein when I notice something I just don't like about it. Rather the pull it all out I take a fresh skein of yarn and work up the changes until they are to my liking. Then when it is time to switch to a new skein of yarn I pull out the first skein and work it into the afghan. It is a mental thing for me, I don't feel so bad about needing to pull out so much, no need to ball it all up and then re-stitch it again. It works for me. Just know you are not alone in this, we all have times when things don't come out as they should. To me the most important thing is to have it turn out well, and although it may irritate me to have to keep pulling work out, my most important goal is completing the project.

Happy stitching,
    Judi

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Crye View Post
    I've been thinking about trying a potholder. Should be nice and simple. My problem is, I think, that I really don't know what the stitches are supposed to look like, so I have nothing to compare my stitches to. This probably sounds dumb to you experienced crocheters. I may just stick to crocheting necklaces. They seem to turn out very pretty every time! Thanks Barbara A. for your encouragement. I know, whine, whine, whine...and I'll have sharp cheddar cheeses with my whine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Janie! Will one of you kind ladies come and sit beside me and let's crochet together? Maybe I can get it that way if I actually see you !

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't that be fun.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Judi! You make me want to pull my crochet out right now and start all over again..however, at 8:30 pm on a Sunday evening, it might be better for me to wait until tomorrow! I've found a web site entitled, "How to read a crochet pattern," and it is very descriptive. Since I am a visual learner, I think I should print it out, put it in my lap when I start again, read the instruction, do it, over and over. You ladies are so helpful and encouraging...I don't feel like such a dummy! Happy week to you all!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I'd even make us a good cup of coffee and who knows what else!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yummm. Keep up the good interest and you will be stitching away like a machine soon. I have faith in those fingers.....lol

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I really have a hard time seeing with the homespun yarn also. This Christmas I made neckwarmers with it and to make it easier to see I crocheted with another four-ply yarn that was contrasting on the beginning chain. After my project was finished I took the four-ply yarn out. I also found out it is easier to see your stitches with daylight through a window rather than just a lightbulb.

8. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've just listed sets of hooks that come in sizes L, M, N & P.. the 'hard to find' sizes
    Glow in the Dark crochet hooks Smartglo Crochet by crochetgal
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

10. Likes Janie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate your comments and good ideas, Janie and Judi!
    Last edited by Carolyn Crye; 03-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetgal View Post
    I've just listed sets of hooks that come in sizes L, M, N & P.. the 'hard to find' sizes
    Glow in the Dark crochet hooks Smartglo Crochet by crochetgal
    Thank you for this crochetgal. I will be ordering them in the morning! I never realized there were other size hooks between K and N. Probably because they are never in any stores. Incidentally, I am going to Phoenix in early May...I may just drop into your shop!