Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Page 6 of 11 First ... 45678 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually use scrap yarn to make embellishments for baby dresses, hats, booties or even blankets... such as flowers, animal shapes etc. You can also make x-mas ornaments/coat and hat pins. I could name several more ideas if you need them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I, too, have arthritis and found that a dose of cod liver oil (gel caps) every day went a long way to easing the pain and reducing the swelling. They are relatively inexpensive and I swear they have saved my hands.

3. Likes gardengirl315 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelly Tucker from Share A Square discovered a lotiion called 2 Old Goats for her arthritis. Founf in the hardware store or I saw it in the Vermont Country Store catalog.She,s crocheting together 150 afghans for childrens cancer camps. Says she can wear her wedding ring for the 1st time in 3 yrs. Check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had ovarian cancer last year at this time and I was given a prayer shawl that someone had crocheted in teal colors (the color representing Ovarian cancer) it is so special. SOmeone took the time to crochet this and at the same time say prayers for me what a wonderful gift.

Shelly Tucker who herself as a disability and All others who are participating in the Share A Square are God's Angels on earth. It says in the Bible that God will surround us with earthly Angels. The volunteers who spend their time crocheting for these sick people to whom they never know or will ever meet are my confirmation.

6. Likes tas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't prayer shawls awesome. A couple of summers ago I made 15 of them. Just one after another. Every time I finished one it seemed there was someone in need. Started with my mom, then some of my mom's friends, then some of my aunts, then misc. people we new. And before you knew it they were all gone. It was like someone knew I was making these shawls and provided homes for them. I also make prayer blankets. I make a lap size quilt with 24 blank squares. Then I quilt it. Give it to someone who is ill along with a pack of fabric marking pens. This way family and friends can write notes of love and encouragement as well as prayers for the person who is ill. Family and friends going through chemo say that it keeps them nice and warm both physcially and mentally while they were receiving their treatment. Have a good day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love you lap quilt arlette, what a nice thing for them to have, especially with words of encouragement from friends and family.

I have found when using up my scrap yarn that there is no need to do full rows if you have just a little bit of a color. Start with a variegated yarn and pull one of the colors from it to continue on in the row. Once it is finished you don't even notice it, that way you can use all of the left over yarn and not end up with smaller balls of it. I have done that with the large granny squar lapghans that I have been making and it works out nice. I usually put a row or two of white in between color changes, then work what ever number of colored rows I need to.

Judi G

9. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judi G. I also make a stuffed teddy bear (made of fabric) which I call Hug a Prayer Bear. The bear comes with a bag or container that can be filled with handwritten notes of love and prayer. Those work well for people who aren't into quilts

11. Likes Barbara G., Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Today, I went to my Quilt Guild and took my Prayer quilt that the group made for me last year when I had my cancer surgery. I passed out Ovarian Cancer Awareness Information to all 50 women. Last year I was President of this quild when I was DX. Everyone was so sweet i was given a special presentation with my new quilt. Some special friends came to the meeting to lead the group in special prayers on my behalf. The prayers worked although I did have cancer it is a low grade rarely found with Ovarian Cancer. My quilt group as a comfort quilt committee that makes quilts for our members and their friends and family that are going through dramatic situations. We even had a comfort quilt challenge and the Guild gave ribbons for which we ended up with 10 new comfort quilts. What a blessing the quilt was to me last year during chemo. I was given a prayer shawl also for church so I am covered in prayer for sure. So far my recovery is going OK I am awaiting some results from some blood work. Waiting 10 days now for the results.

Please everyone go to the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC) | Your National and Local Ovarian Cancer Resource web site and read all about the signs because they are just our usual womanly complaints. It is affecting younger and younger women. At last years Nation Conference the main speaker was 16 and she had OVC. Ovarian Cancer is called the Woman's "Deadly Cancer" because usually Diagnosised at stage 3 or 4. Now I have to be monitored for 5 years but unlike breast cancer it likes to come back and back. Living 5 years after DX is quite unlikely if DX at stage 3 or 4. In fact 22,000 women DX each year 5,000 deaths.

My God bless each of you that volunteer to give comfort to others.

Post Thanks / Like
    My prayers go out to you BamaBelleMari, It is an uphill battle when you hear the word cancer for sure. I read and article in Readers Digest years ago on a study that found that the people who got MAD AT THE CANCER, seemed to produce something in them that helped to fight the cancer harder. And there were more of them survive then those who just accepted the cancer. They said it had to be anger at the cancer and not anything or anyone else. So when I was diagnosed I allowed myself to get angry at my cancer. I figured it sure couldn't hurt, and face it we all get angry, better to focus that anger on the cancer and not our loved ones, which some people have done.

May God Bless all those fighting against this awful thing called cancer.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBelleMari View Post
    Today, I went to my Quilt Guild and took my Prayer quilt that the group made for me last year when I had my cancer surgery. I passed out Ovarian Cancer Awareness Information to all 50 women. Last year I was President of this quild when I was DX. Everyone was so sweet i was given a special presentation with my new quilt. Some special friends came to the meeting to lead the group in special prayers on my behalf. The prayers worked although I did have cancer it is a low grade rarely found with Ovarian Cancer. My quilt group as a comfort quilt committee that makes quilts for our members and their friends and family that are going through dramatic situations. We even had a comfort quilt challenge and the Guild gave ribbons for which we ended up with 10 new comfort quilts. What a blessing the quilt was to me last year during chemo. I was given a prayer shawl also for church so I am covered in prayer for sure. So far my recovery is going OK I am awaiting some results from some blood work. Waiting 10 days now for the results.

Please everyone go to the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC) | Your National and Local Ovarian Cancer Resource web site and read all about the signs because they are just our usual womanly complaints. It is affecting younger and younger women. At last years Nation Conference the main speaker was 16 and she had OVC. Ovarian Cancer is called the Woman's "Deadly Cancer" because usually Diagnosised at stage 3 or 4. Now I have to be monitored for 5 years but unlike breast cancer it likes to come back and back. Living 5 years after DX is quite unlikely if DX at stage 3 or 4. In fact 22,000 women DX each year 5,000 deaths.

My God bless each of you that volunteer to give comfort to others.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the pieces are just a yard or so I tie them onto my magic crochet ball. When I have enough I make a small blanket for the Humane Society.
    Trish

15. Likes Beviboo liked this post