Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Page 3 of 11 First 12345 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't tried doing amigurumi.. when I look at amigurumi projects, I feel that its complicated. I will probably also try that for the scrap yarns. Amigurumi projects as gift for christmas!

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same impression Kai but it was not difficult at all, the only thing that was hard was if I did not use a stitch marker to mark where a round ends and tried counting stitches instead! once i used a stitch marker, it was easy peasy!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Theresa,
    I too have a lot of leftover yarn which I give to the ladies club at my Church. They are very happy to receive it and make wonderful things from just little colors of the yarn. They have a craft show every year and it helps them to make a little money for the Church.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Doris,
    That's a wonderful idea. I hadn't considered donating it to a church. I had thought of giving it to Goodwill or some such place. I will definitely keep that in mind next time I have a batch of scraps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just finishing up another granny lapghan for the group that I belong to locally. We make granny lapghans for our local nursing homes.
    However you can make any stitch you would like using the odd leftover yarn. I like to alternate every other stitch between a sc then hdc, across the row to give a nice textured. I have found on my afghan that if I use a neutral row between colors that may not look as well together it will give just enough separation of those colors and comes out looking great. Also if I have a variegated yarn I use colors out of it next to it.
    When I started this last afghan of all my odds and end I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I used up two bags full of balls about the size of my fist and smaller. I also didn't worry about starting a color at the beginning of the row but just added it onto where I ran out of the previous color. Since there are about 14 or 15 colors in my blanket it didn't look bad because it actually doesn't show unless you look for it. I did however use all bright colors. I don't know how this would work if using muted with bright colors. I think I would keep them separate.
    Judi G.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I've been doing lately. Its a bookmark that I made for my students. One of my students who competed to make an afghan had a lot of leftover yarns. Since there were a lot of small scrap yarns, I did not had the heart to throw it away. So I thought of making bookmarks for all my students which they appreciated a lot! They couldn't believe that I'd randomly make it for them for no reason at all. It was fun to make coz I just did freehand stuff.. I experimented with the pattern and enjoyed making it for them. It took less than 15 minutes to finish one.

What to do with scrap yarn

the pattern is very simple. I start with a small circle using 4 chains and slip stitch it to close.
    then I create a flower using this pattern: *ch4, sc,* 5 times and close it with a slp stitch. Then I just do chain stitches until it is enough for the size of the book that. The bookmarks that I made for them was for their "Student Daily Report" where their homework is written and its like my mode of communication to the parents.

Last edited by kaisensei; 11-11-2011 at 09:28 PM.

7. Likes gardengirl315, cbb1225 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Those book marks are just perfect for the kids in my son's play group! Thank you for that fabulous idea. You have saved me a lot of headaches. I am going to start on these this evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have talked about the Ugly Blanket in several threads and thought I should share a picture of how it turned out. Not "too" ugly! lolWhat to do with scrap yarn-ugly-blanket-jpg

10. Likes Barbara G., Beviboo, tas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Theresa,
    Not ugly at all. Looks great!
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    The lady that is the head of our Share a Square group tied all her oieces rogether & croched a neckwarmwe scarf. Had a picture on the facepage. Made all the tails the same length & left them to stick out. Also crochet pads for the local animal agcys.for the cages of dogs & cats. They can be laundered over & over & used again.Her scarf looked lovely.