Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  57
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Crochet-Along Fun

I know that there is an official "stickied" February Charity Crochet-along already going on in this group, but I wanted to head up another crochet-along that could be a little bit different of an experience.

In another thread, Fayrouz shared a link to this photo.
    Crochet-Along Fun

It's just a photo, there is no pattern for it. But I thought to myself, I'm a pattern writer; it's my job and I work from photographs all the time; it would be fun as a newcomer to Crochet Talk to give to my fellow crocheters at this site something I can do for them...write a pattern.

Normally, when I write a pattern for a designer or check their patterns, the designs go right into a magazine or into those booklets/leaflets you can pick up at craft stores, or onto websites. Other than the sample that is made for the photo, no one else "tests" to see if the pattern works.

Wouldn't it be fun to be part of the pattern writing process by joining me in a crochet-along?

I would like to volunteer to write the pattern (I probably won't stitch it myself) and anyone who joins the CAL can follow the instructions and point out any hiccups in the pattern. Then...when it's done...it can be a pattern that we all put our names on and share in the Links and Resources thread here at Crochet Talk.
    We can even work out how to make the pattern for different sizes of beds!

Let me know if your interested by sending me a private message, instead of replying here in the forum thread, which I would like to keep for the actual posts and questions and comments and photo sharing that arise from the CAL.

If you've not sent a private message before, click on this link to my profile, and then click on the link right below my photo.

Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Charles, I'm in.. It should be fun... Teresa

3. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I would love to join in also Sounds like tonz of fun. I tried to do a CAL they were making and afghan that every row was a different stitch lol I never finished it, I struggled to get it even or going straight on the ends I tried and tried it would never come out right so I got so irritated and quit. This one looks like it might be easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done some research and it looks like for a queen-sized bedspread and 2 cushions, about 70 ounces of worsted weight yarn will be necessary. This is just an estimate, so I could be off by 10 oz, plus or minus. This would be for the version that includes the bed-skirt.
    There are 3 shades of blue plus white for the pattern, so any four colours that would make a gradient like this would work. Or if you are using odd balls, just keep track of which ones you have used, and the order you've used them in so each square is the same colour sequence.
    I would estimate that as far as amounts you would need 15 (10 1/2 oz) to be light blue, 15% (10 1/2 oz) to be medium blue, 30% (21 oz) to be white, and 40% (28 oz) to be dark blue.
    For the crochet along FIRST STEP.... please take a picture of the yarns you want to use and share them here.

6. Likes teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful might try this one

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to join in. Sounds like it will be fun.

Debbie
    She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.

Proverbs 31:25

Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Charles, Just tell me what color (type of yarn, # of color )your want, what pattern ( for the square) you want and what size squares you want and I'm in... Teresa

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Teresa!
    I don't want to specify specific colours, because maybe someone in the CAL wants to do their own thing.
    To match the photo you'll need approx 10 1/2 oz light blue, 10 1/2 oz medium blue, 21 ozwhite, and 28 ozdark blue (medium) Worsted Weight yarn.
    A 5.5mm or 6mm (USI/9 or USJ/10) hook should work fine!
    As far as the square, I'm sure anyone in the CAL could use any granny square they have experience making, but I'd like to write the pattern to match the photo as close as possible. If you don't want to follow the photo, I'm sure any square you want will work. The squares appear to be either 11" (if that's a Queen size bed) and 12" (if it's a King sized mattress) in the photo.
    At the moment I haven't yet written the pattern for the square because I'd like to write it in stages and have people test it as we go...to iron out the wrinkles, and to make it a really collaborative project!

I'd really like to see pictures of people's yarn choices before we move to the next stage of the crochet along...just for fun and inspiration!

11. Likes Carynjoyb, missro007, teresah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Charles, Ready and willing. Waiting for your pattern... Teresa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Voth View Post
    I know that there is an official "stickied" February Charity Crochet-along already going on in this group, but I wanted to head up another crochet-along that could be a little bit different of an experience.

In another thread, Fayrouz shared a link to this photo.
    Crochet-Along Fun

It's just a photo, there is no pattern for it. But I thought to myself, I'm a pattern writer; it's my job and I work from photographs all the time; it would be fun as a newcomer to Crochet Talk to give to my fellow crocheters at this site something I can do for them...write a pattern.

Normally, when I write a pattern for a designer or check their patterns, the designs go right into a magazine or into those booklets/leaflets you can pick up at craft stores, or onto websites. Other than the sample that is made for the photo, no one else "tests" to see if the pattern works.

Wouldn't it be fun to be part of the pattern writing process by joining me in a crochet-along?

I would like to volunteer to write the pattern (I probably won't stitch it myself) and anyone who joins the CAL can follow the instructions and point out any hiccups in the pattern. Then...when it's done...it can be a pattern that we all put our names on and share in the Links and Resources thread here at Crochet Talk.
    We can even work out how to make the pattern for different sizes of beds!

Let me know if your interested by sending me a private message, instead of replying here in the forum thread, which I would like to keep for the actual posts and questions and comments and photo sharing that arise from the CAL.

If you've not sent a private message before, click on this link to my profile, and then click on the link right below my photo.
    I wish I could do this but I have a very difficult in reading a pattern sounds like fun