Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question Repairing a huge crocheted afghan

My nephew has asked me to repair a king sized crocheted afghan that has special meaning for him. I am finding that whoever crocheted it joined threads by making a knot and then cutting the ends off quite close. This means there are dozens of knots and little tiny ends and of course many of them are coming, or have come, undone. Is there any trick to repairing these so they will not unravel in the future? I have managed to weave in some of the longer ends but most of them won't even go through the eye of the needle. Any help will be so much appreciated. Thank you. Margaret.

2. Likes Ginnie256, blueeyes68, teresah liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Margaret, I found these sites and hope it may assist you.. If this isn't the one you want, please let me know and maybe we can search together... Teresa

How to Repair a Crocheted Blanket | eHow

How to Repair a Crochet Blanket: 9 Steps - wikiHow

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ how+to+repair+a+crocheted+afghan

How To Repair a Crocheted Blanket | AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com

4. Likes kimr, blueeyes68 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Teresah Thank you sooo much for going to the trouble to find these. One said to use FRAY CHECK and I am going to do that for the tiny little ends. I didn't think of that, I sure hope it works. I have pinned the others so that I can refer back when I get to the three large holes and the two smaller ones. This chap is going to owe me big time after this!! Ha Ha. I do appreciate your help. best regards Margaret

6. Likes kimr, elproct, blueeyes68, teresah liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Margaret, You are very welcome.. It was my pleasure and I am very glad I could help..Hugs, Teresa

8. Likes blueeyes68 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I repaired an afghan that I made years ago when I did not know the best ways to change colors or add new yarn and I sewed them with thread. Sewing thread and the afghan was done in blue and white and the repairs do not show very much. I had blue thread that was close to the right color and I used an off white that did match. Not saying this is the way to do it but it was my way. Good luck!

10. Likes blueeyes68, teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Faye, perhaps that will be another way to go with the smaller holes. I could also use embroidery thread, but of course getting the right colour might be harder. Funnily enough the afghan I am repairing is also blue and white. Those blues are hard to match, but with a very thin thread it wouldn't show as much. I will post later to let you and Teresah know how it went. It is going to take me some time to do it all. Thanks again. best regards Margaret.

12. Likes blueeyes68, teresah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hya twinfaye, That's also a great idea.. TY for posting it.. I'm sure it will assist many members... Teresa

14. Likes elproct, blueeyes68 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to repair an afghan that I gave to my granddaughter when it tangled with their dog and lost! Fortunately, I had added fringe on both ends so all I had to do was steal a strand from a few fringes and the repair was done! I think they got a different dog later on--not because of the afghan.

16. Likes blueeyes68 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If possible I would pull out enough of the broken yarn to add new yarn to it without a knot and restitch it. But saying and doing may be a little difficult. Thankfully I haven't had to do that one yet.

I do have an afghan my grandmother made years ago and has been washed several times. (before I knew better as it is wool) when wool is washed the fibers intertwine together and then you are sunk. It turns into one mass of fabric rather then strands of yarn. I still value it, but just have it packed away. What a mess I made of that one. It was a grannysquare.

Best of luck, hope you find what works for you.
    Judi G

18. Likes blueeyes68, teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Grampat, dogs and afghans don't mix ha ha...at least puppies who are in the chewing stage. What a bit of luck though that you could find some of the yarn in the fringe to repair it. I am having trouble matching the navy blue in this one, but I am going to look a little further before I settle on what I do have.

20. Likes blueeyes68 liked this post