Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  97
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by determined_to-crochet View Post
    Barbara, how did you learn to crochet? Do you knit?
    Thank you for all that you do for this forum!
    --- Sharon C
    My mom taught me to do a ripple afghan. I was then hooked on learning to crochet. I learn better watching videos now. In the past, I spent some time learning with some little crochet booklets. Thanks for asking! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was a much younger and expecting my first child, I wanted to crochet an afghan for my baby. In my country neighborhood there was a group of ladies that met once a month, some of them were members of my church. They invited me to attend and I learned how to do the ripple afghan stitch and made a beautiful pink,blue and white afghan for my first baby girl. I chose those colors as we did not know if it was going to be a boy or a girl. After the baby was born, I pretty much put away my crochet hook. I started crocheting again when my grandson was born, found that it was quite relaxing and found great joy from it, but soon figured out that I had pretty much forgotten how to crochet so I needed to reteach myself all over again. Some frogging and refrogging but thank goodness for You tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom did when I was a pre-teen. She said I used to follow her around and ask what she was doing while she was crocheting. I think she probably taught me just to keep me quiet and out of her hair. But neither one of us ever thought it would become a lifelong passion for me. Thank you, mom.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    LI ROE: You were so lucky to have such a good role model. I'm sure you and your mom have lots of good memories that you have shared. Good for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    A neighbor taught me to crochet when I was very young, but she taught me granny square, I had no idea what I was doing, just to make granny squares then when I was in my early 20s I went to visit my grandmother and she taught me what the stitches were and how to read a pattern and I made a bed doll while I was on vacation visiting her, and course after that it was history, do everything and anything crocheted now....Knitting I don't have a clue about but am thinking about taking a class to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    My mom taught me to do a ripple afghan. I was then hooked on learning to crochet. I learn better watching videos now. In the past, I spent some time learning with some little crochet booklets. Thanks for asking! :0)
    Barbara G., thank you for your reply!

Post Thanks / Like
    Three people taught me------me-----myself-----and-------i

Post Thanks / Like
    I was pregnant at the age of 17 and l went to a school for pregnant girls. One of the classes was crocheting and the very first thing l made was a hooded bunting that zipped up the front. It was gorgeous and l was hooked from that moment on.

I love the look if knit and a l tried knooking. I crochet very tightly so l have taken a break from it but l know l will be able to do it. About a month ago l went on you tube and l have started to teach myself how to knit but l also know that l need classes because of the things that l would like to try to make. Lazy days are good with yarn and a needle!

Post Thanks / Like
    We lived with my grandparents while I was growing up and my mother and grandmother taught me to crochet, embroidery and sew. I think I was around 6 or 7 when I learned.
    Dinah

10. Likes little drummer, blueeyes68 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We think my maternal Grandmother taught me because I lived with her until she passed away when I was six. I don't remember learning, I just always knew how and I thought it was funny when other people didn't know. Later I learned that not everyone was taught how to crochet. I am so glad my Grandmother taught me it has been a wonderful main stay in my life.

12. Likes little drummer, DinahRoberts liked this post