Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool How to Make a Sweater by the Measure

How to Make a Sweater by the Measure-purplesweater_2314-jpg

The picture doesn't show the full length of the sweater as it had accidentally tucked under.

How to crochet a T-shaped sweater:

I used an H hook and Simply Soft for this project. There’s no gauge for this project – it’s based on measurements.

How big are your hips? Mine are 46” and my sweater is 40” at the bottom.

It fits just fine because I started with a single crochet foundation chain (fsc) 20” long (if your hips are 36” you can probably get way with a 15” fsc). Just know your sweater, using acrylic yarn, can be 5-6” less than your actual hip size and you’ll feel so svelte 

I wanted the length from the bottom of the sleeve to be 13” (26 rows in dc).

How big is the largest part of your upper arm? Mine is 16”, so the front sleeves are 8” height.

My sleeves are 12” long (3/4 length). Yours can be shorter or longer.

The pattern I chose was alternating Vs and double Vs. Here are instructions for that stitch pattern:

V stitch: Dc, ch 2, dc.
    VV stitch: 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc in ch 2 sp (row 1 is the only row that requires 2 stitches to form the double V)

Row 1 (begins after fsc row): Ch 1, dc in 1st sc. *Skip 2 stitches.
    Dc, ch 2, dc in next stitch. Skip 2 stitches.
    2 dc, ch 1 in next st., 2 dc in next st.
    Repeat from * until you’re 2-3 st from end. Dc in last st., turn.

Row 2: Ch 1, dc in 1st st. If your first pattern stitch is a single V, do a VV in the ch 2 sp. and if your first pattern is a VV, do a V in the ch sp.

Continue in the alternating Vs and VVs until the length is where you want the sleeves to start.

How many pattern repeats are required for the sleeve length you want? Measure across the body of the sweater (in my case 12”) to determine the number of stitches you’ll need for the sleeve. Remember that in the first row, the VV requires two chains.

You can create a stitch guide on your computer or by pen(cil) and paper:

|ooVoo\\//ooVoo\\//ooVoo (20 stitches = 4.5 to 5” depending on hook size, whether you’re a loose or tight stitcher). And remember that you want your last repeat to be in line with the body so you maintain the alternating V/VV pattern. The dc at the beginning of the body row will be ignored or made useful if you need it.

Now that you know how many stitches you need for the sleeve, chain that number. Attach a separate piece of yarn on the other side of the sweater with the same number of chains. When I made my sweater, I cut the yarn after I made the first sleeve chain, then attached the separate yarn to the other side and started my first sleeve row with a ch 1, dc. In order to match the alternating V/VVs I had to begin with a VV (found out later rather than sooner so had to do a bit of frogging) so do your best. This is called “leap of faith” crochet or “flying by the seat of your britches” crochet – whatever seems appropriate. Anyway, congratulations on making your first sleeve row. That’s a long way across.

The side you’re working on is the front of your sweater so you’re going to continue going across until the sleeve height is 3 or 4” shorter than its total height (depends on how deep you want the scoop). Mine was 8” so when the height was 4” I guesstimated where the scoop neck would start and ended the row there with a dc. Turn and go across to the end of the sleeve. Turn and end at the dc. Continue until the sleeve height is reached. Leave an extra long tail at the end to use when you attach it to the back sleeve. Roll up your extra long tail and clip it to the sleeve. That way it won’t be in your way when you’re working on the other side of the neck and sleeve.

Yay! The front is done.

Work the back of your sweater in the same manner EXCEPT you don’t have to create a neck opening.

With right sides together, stitch sleeve tops (see Simple Seamin’ in Crochet Tips) to neck opening, sleeve bottoms, and side seams.

Finishing: My neck was a little looser than I like so when I did a row of sc around the neck opening I skipped a stitch here and there. Then I created a shell border round the neck.

I haven’t put a shell border around the sleeves yet, and didn’t put any trim on the bottom, being afraid of losing the stretchiness. I might try it later and let you know.
    Last edited by ooh-lalah; 02-04-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add important info
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work,and the color you made it in is great! My fave way of making a garment in crochet is by measurement, too. I'm making a sweater that is made by measurement and just one continuous crocheting from beginning to end...no cutting and joining of yarn anywhere except when adding new yarn when a skein runs out. I'm using Simply Soft, too, in Lemon Meringue. This one is coming out so nice that I plan to make some more in other colors.

I'm crocheting HDC all the way through with an N/9.00 mm hook which makes the sweater very lacy! Fell in love with HDC using a very large hook when I made the Palm Beach shrug.
    If I want super-fitted garments I knit rather than crochet.

Anyway, I love your sweater.
    Last edited by Poinciana; 02-05-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

3. Likes N/A, ooh-lalah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you ooh-lalah for this pattern I have never did one but I like the one on you Very nice and color also. Good Job.

Post Thanks / Like
    What an awesome idea, and the lemon meringue color sounds good. I like the idea of a lacy look using hdc and a larger hook.
    I'll start mine with an fsc 40" and smaller size hook...then maybe continuous rounds up to where the arm holes start.

Huggles,
    Joyce

6. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Question How to Make a Sweater by the Measure

I really loved the sweater and would like to make one, but had trouble following the directions. Is there a more detailed pattern? I've never made a sweater. I think I understood the sleeves, but after that I was lost. Help, please.

PS - My measurements happen to be about the same as yours. Maybe that will make it easier for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks and I might try this with a lot of help!! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCNick Knack View Post
    I really loved the sweater and would like to make one, but had trouble following the directions. Is there a more detailed pattern? I've never made a sweater. I think I understood the sleeves, but after that I was lost. Help, please.

PS - My measurements happen to be about the same as yours. Maybe that will make it easier for me.
    Glad we're about the same size. Chain 46 for a 12" sleeve. Attach yarn to the other side and chain 46. Ch 1 and dc, sk 2 and start pattern. If the last pattern of the body is a V, the sleeve's first row needs to end with a V so you can stitch a VV into the last V of the body and continue to the other side.

Writing this is confusing me. The important thing is to maintain the alternating V pattern so figure out on a sheet of paper which stitch you need to start. Since you're on the first row of the sleeve, the VV needs 2 chains.
    Follow pattern all the way across until sleeve is 4" in height. Then start the neckline by going across so the shoulder area will at least cover your bra strap and then one more pattern, ending with a dc. Follow same for 4" (sleeve height 8", neckline 4").

Hope this explains the area where you have questions.

10. Likes N/A liked this post