Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phy View Post
    I have yarn that is every bit that old and it seems fine. It has been stored in totes in my basement. My problems is it has a musty smell. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of that smell?. I thought about just airing in this cold winter air and thinking it will leave it.
    Yes! Put the yarn in a plastic bag and put 1 or 2 fabric softener sheets in with it, seal it up and let it sit for a week or two! It will smell wonderful! i do this with donated yarn that has come from a smoker's house!

2. Likes Lissacc, determined_to-crochet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If in rush to get the musty smell out you can spray it with Febreeze.

4. Likes determined_to-crochet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LeadFrogger;116964]Yes! Put the yarn in a plastic bag and put 1 or 2 fabric softener sheets in with it, seal it up and let it sit for a week or two! It will smell wonderful! i do this with donated yarn that has come from a smoker's house![/QUOTE]

I do that with the yarn I store in containers and tote bags and every so often, just replace them when the scent dissipates. I also have a cabinet with fabric (like I really sew that much, LOL) and add the fabric softener sheets. Also, in my linen closet between the towels and in my dresser drawers.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like

answer to old yarn

Quote Originally Posted by Texas transplant View Post
    I have some Yarn that my sis had stored and is about 15 years old. My daughter took some it and said she can't work with it because it is old. Margaret
    Hi Texas, If the yarn has been kept dry and it is kept inside ,it last a long time for the most part. I have some that has been around for a few years and it is fine,but it it gets wet or what ever it will dry rot. good luck hope you can use it.
    Jean

Post Thanks / Like
    try putting the yarn in a pillow case and a couple of fabric sheets and put them in the dryer on the low heat for about 15 minutes. It does wonders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas transplant View Post
    tHANKS ,GALS, I was very upset that she thought she couldn't use it. But now after "talking with you' I think her problem was she didn't like it and uses that excuse. Hugs to all of you. Margaret
    I tend to agree with you. Seems if some people don't like something or are tired of it or don't want to monkey with something, it is easier to say that it doesn't work- is broken or something, and then they throw it away so they can get something else. It is too bad that we live in a throw away society.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadFrogger View Post
    Yes! Put the yarn in a plastic bag and put 1 or 2 fabric softener sheets in with it, seal it up and let it sit for a week or two! It will smell wonderful! i do this with donated yarn that has come from a smoker's house!
    Great idea. I thought you had to wash it first. I tried washing it by putting it in a laundry zipper bag, it works for some, but the zipper came open and the yarn got really tangled. Took me along time to untangle, but I got it. Will try your trick next time. Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put mine in a plastic tote and it stays ok

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used 3 balls of wool that was over 35 years old & it was as good as new.

Surrounded by the mountains of Vermont, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello PHY: I have learned to "cook" my yarn. At least, that's what I call it. I learned that the musty smell is from mold spores, and that mold spores die in the sun. So, on sunny days, after some kind soul has given me poor, now gone "Aunt Minnie's stash" from the cellar or the attic, I spread out the yarn on my back deck. Comes in, after many hours, absolutely awesome. That doesn't mean the problem has been completely rectified, though. Sometimes, depending on the yarn, I need to "cook" it another day or two. After the item is made, I always wash it before giving it. Try it! It's amazing!!!

13. Likes little drummer liked this post