Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: allergic

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what everyone else said! If you changed soaps, detergents or anything that could be a possibility! If it is only with certain yarn types or brands, it could be that! I'm allergic to most soaps and detergents mainly the ones with ivory! Try to narrow it down, if possible! GOOD LUCK! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat, My mother used a lot of wool yarn to knit her sweaters. Back in those days she would get the yarn wound in a large hunk and us 2 girls would stand for hours while she rolled it into balls. If it was wool my sis got the job. I would come away looking like a tomato. I still can pick up some yarn and know that it has wool in it. The alpaca doesn't bother me. But even the mereno wool will make me itch. I have tried using the bamboo silk and so far so good but my purse can't take it. It is expensive. Margaret

3. Likes amanda, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No you are not crazy! I too have found that I get rashes after crocheting for a few hours. My dermotologist was the one that suggested it was the yarn when I discussed it with her because I couldn't figure out where it was coming from! She suggested crafter's gloves or mild compression gloves where just your fingertips are exposed. I found some (I thing it was from Mary Maxim catalog but not sure) and I haven't had a problem since! You might want to give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Johnson View Post
    I am new to this site but have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a rash on my right and sometimes left forearm and I have narrowed it down to it develops while, or shortly after, I have been knitting or crocheting for a few hours. I have worn long sleeve shirts and I still get the rash, although not every time! am I crazy or is it the yarn?
    You have received a lot of great advice and suggestions! If you have tried evrything without success, please seek medical advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of good advice here! I would also suspect it might be wool....I can't use it either because I get a rash and itching from that. The other thing that it couldbe is the type of dye in the yarn.
    Dinah

Post Thanks / Like
    No,you're not. crazy. I had that problem also. Saw my Dr. she said. it was a reaction to the lanolin used to soften the yarn . She prescribed an ointfor me and it seemed to take care of the prob ulem . You might want to consult your Dr about it.