Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Belspar! Become a member of Ravelry. Then on your page click groups. On the right side it'll say "Need help finding groups?"; under that it'll have "find people in your city, state or country", then click on "browse groups by location" You may need to scroll through many groups to find one close to you. I put in my city and got six pages of groups, but only one was close enough to me.

2. Likes amanda, teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nova55! I was trying to help ThinkJesus1st. She's looking for a group and I suggested checking on ravelry.
    If you're on ravelry.com, hope you'll friend me there too. I use Belspar as my user name on ravelry also.
    Glad you were able to give more specific details for her. Thank you!

4. Likes teresah liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Belspar, I didn't know about the groups on Ravelry.. I've been on that site so many times.. I'm going to search for members and groups... Teresa

6. Likes Belspar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! I don't know if things have improved for you (finding a crochet group) or not. And I don't know how old you are, but I go to a senior center for lunch, and always took a crochet project with me to work on there. Then, I was asked, 4 yrs ago, if I would teach a crochet class. I said yes--and haven't slowed down since!!! We now have 20 members, and have sent over 1,250 hats to various hospitals (for cancer patients, neurology patients, and children) , over 700 lap-sized afghans to various Veterans' hospitals, and almost 100 prayer shawls to our local Hospice prayer shawl ministry! It's the most rewarding thing I've EVER done! And I don't think I would have HAD to be a senior citizen to teach that class. We meet only once a week, so I still have plenty of time to do other things! You might investigate that angle! Good luck!

8. Likes mscheri, MeerKat, teresah liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Leadfrogger, All I can say is God Bless you for bringing so much love into other lives... Hugs, Teresa

Post Thanks / Like
    KoryMory, I called my local yarn store and asked if they had some Red Heart yarn that I needed and she said in the snootiest voice I have ever heard "we don't sell that kind of yarn." I went to the store and the yarn was so expensive that I couldn't afford one skein. And it also looked like a knitting store not much in crochet. I don't know why the stores seem to be for knitting.I don't care to go back.

11. Likes amanda, N/A, Maggie0215 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isnt that something, how sad for them. Attitude-------BAD. Any other places near you to buy yarn?? HUGS

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been asked by Joannes and Michaels if I wanted to teach crochet class! I haven't seen many crocheters or know of very many! A friend of mine her daughter asked if I would help her with a few stitches and how to read patterns! Her grandmother had showed her basically the chain and double crochet before she fell ill! She finished her first afghan and started making little toys and hats from some patterns I gave her and a beginner crochet book that helped her learn how to read patterns! Never really heard back from stores, I had asked and they said no interest in crochet. Basically they had no people ask to be taught crochet! Which with my SSI I don't know if I could try and teach anyway or stand or sit for an hour at that! Wish you all good luck! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya ThinkJesus1st, I don't know, because I don't live there, but, I would like to welcome you to CT. It's very nice to meet you.. The members here are very helpful and extremely friendly.. If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.. I hope you enjoy Crochet Talk as much as I do... Teresa

16. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Colorado and I have been to a few stores and I came across the same thing. The yarns there are way too expensive for me to buy. I like my Red Heart, Caron, Lion Brand. I did notice that they all knitted or quilted. I want to learn to knit but right now I only crochet.As far as groups to join check out Ravelry (I belong to it but I get quite lost looking in there). I belong to three groups that knit and crochet. One group I belong to, we meet on Tuesday nights at Panara Bread(it's a large office building with Panara in it and we go to a little area and just stitch out hearts out). The other group is a double group, we meet on Thursday mornings at a library and do our thing and once a month we are a charity group and work on different projects to donate to many different organizations. I have seen some really beautiful things come out of that group. Scarves, afghans, baby sweaters, socks, hats, and many other things.
    Sorry, I have been going on so long, but I love to crochet and would like to see others join a group and have some wonderful friends that you wouldn't know unless you join a group. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinfaye View Post
    KoryMory, I called my local yarn store and asked if they had some Red Heart yarn that I needed and she said in the snootiest voice I have ever heard "we don't sell that kind of yarn." I went to the store and the yarn was so expensive that I couldn't afford one skein. And it also looked like a knitting store not much in crochet. I don't know why the stores seem to be for knitting.I don't care to go back.
    Last edited by Maggie0215; 02-26-2014 at 10:55 AM.

18. Likes N/A liked this post