Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  127
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the best tip is to COUNT, COUNT, COUNT. Also, never give up...even if you need to start over many times, it is usually worth it in the end.
    I also like to use a cookie sheet and a magnet to help keep my place on the pattern. I just put the pattern on the cookie sheet and move the magnet each line when I am crocheting to help me save my place and not get lost in the pattern. Seems to work very well. (:

2. Likes Barbara G., dancingbaehr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I too put all my patterns in 3 ring binders. It is much easier to find what I need, hats, scarves, afghans, etc.

When I want to make something, it is easy to flip through and find the pattern.

4. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBhaven View Post
    Here is a website for crochet and knitting there is a lot of information on this site hook sizes, yarn sizes, crochet and knitting symbols and much more
    Standard Yarn Weight System |
    Thanks for that excellent tip. Here's one which may help new crocheters. It was given to me by the lady on the commuter bus who is an EXPERTt
    Stick a bobby pin in the FIRST AND LAST STS of the row. that way, you won't miss them when you do the next row!

6. Likes Barbara G., N/A, dancingbaehr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet Sue---I USED to carry a project on the commuter bus back and forth from home to work and back; but the lights on the bus need changing; and I can't work without sufficient light. I WAS working on a square for a summer shrug; but it will have to wait until the lighting is fixed on the bus for me to continue. Bummer! A 2-hour commute really lets you get a lot done.

8. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dsynr Thanks for reminding me that, Ive heard that a short time ago on a form here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meriross View Post
    I was watching a video on working in rounds and the lady used a bobbi pin to mark the beginning of the row,I tried it and it was much easier than stitch markers.

I also found that using plastic coffee cans and putting holes in the top with a Phillips head screwdriver work great for keeping yarn clean and neat when working on projects.
    DSYNR'S ADDITION: Cut a slit in the plastic top and you can store your project and take it out to travel with you whenever you wish.
    (Was DD's idea.)

I also use empty dishwasher packs containers these work well for larger projects, also you can put a plastic divider in them and use more than one color at a time.
    Keep 'em comin!!

11. Likes little drummer, cvarr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bobbi pins will keep your yarn from unraveling I keep my yarn in a see thru comforter bag so I can see at a glan ce what I have I have mine all in balls so with the bobbi pin on the yarn I can move the balls arround and it won't unravel

13. Likes Barbara G., ooh-lalah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple of tips:
    1. When starting an extremely long chain, I write the number down in groups of 10 and check each group off. (Ex. 123 chains = 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 3.) I never have to go back and check the number of chains.

2. If you have a hard time understanding a pattern, check on YouTube. Most times you can find the actual pattern. YouTube is also a great place for beginners.

3. For every new pattern stitch I learn I classify it as either a FAST STITCH or a SLOW STITCH. Fast stitches I share with friends immediately who also crochet. The slow stitches aren't shown until the project is done. Then it's up to them if they want to learn the new slow pattern stitch.

15. Likes Barbara G., meki1231 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use 3-ring binders with page protectors for the patterns I print out, I have at least 4 and need some more binders! One tip is to check to see if the pattern you find on the internet is American terms or UK terms for the stitches since they are different. You can find a chart for them here Yarn Forward Crochet Conversion Chart
    Dinah

17. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I have a pattern that I have struggled with and finally found the "miracle" that made it all come together - I take a picture of the item and the Problem area. I print the pic and put notes on the paper of what my confusion was and how I resolved it. If I don't, and I go back to a project a year later - I sit and wonder..... hmmmmm I had this issue before..... what did I find that helped me....... and the search has to start all over again. So this way, I have my Issue, My pic, and my Solution right in front of me - in my binder, with the pattern. Life is Good!