Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Trouble with making slippers large size 12 mens

Hello,

I have a pattern for slippers that I just love for women and child sizes - but I have some big men in my family that need a size 12 - the pattern calls for alterations for a size 12 but it really isn't much bigger than the ladies size 8/9 or so....All the pattern really called out for to change from a ladies to a mans is to increase the hook size by 1 size and add two more stitches. This did not do the trick. I tried to add rows and stitches on my own but it just isnt right yet so I thought I would drop in here and see what you guys think.

The pattern starts out with chain 2 and make 5 single crochets in the beginning chain - then make 3 single crochets in each of those 5 - now 15 scs.... ok, then 2 sc in first sc and 1 sc in each of the next 2 - repeat till back at beginning. 20 sc - OK - then next round is 2 sc in next sc and 1 sc in each of the next 3 sc - repeat till end. Now you have 25 sc.... still ok - from here you just do 14 rows of sc for a mans size or 12 sc for a womans size - (the two extra rows do not do much to change the overall size) so I tried to add 5 rows, but what happened is that where the top of your foot goes to your ankle - the slipper is tight there because your foot is wider there - so I have to not only add rows but increase stitches - ok, did that but then it is bell shaped from adding stitches only to the last five rows. so now I have to go back and add stitches as I go along I suppose to rows before the five extra I am adding.... ugggghhhh......

The ones I am talking about are in my avatar pic to the left.

LOL this is driving me crazy..... on I go to try again. any suggestions????
    Last edited by cvarr; 01-01-2014 at 04:20 AM. Reason: change stitch count

Post Thanks / Like
    Never done one yet, gave up, I wonder if a diff hook size would help a little, someone more qualifying will come along soon. Hang in there & Happy New Year

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey - I got it!!!!! kept messing around with it and the project is now done.... yeah!!!!! Thank You for all that looked and thought this over.

4. Likes Barbara G., N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yaaaaa!!! For you now if you can Pic it I love to see projects done ?? Susan MJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to be off to work now but I will get a pic for you tonight. The "fix" was - I had to start back at the fifth row and do another increase row so I sc 2 in the next stitch and then 4 sc in the next 4 stitches - repeat till back to the beginning. The pattern calls for 14 rows of sc after that - I did 16 rows. Next is to chain 11 - I chained 15 - and then you sc around all the stitches for 8 rows, I did 11 rows. Then you do three decrease rows and then slip stitch the heel/back together. It came out really nice. Seems so big but that is only because I am not used to making slippers for men. Compared to the women's it's not that much bigger. Anyways, I will send pics tonight. Have a great day everyone.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you figured it out! I have not done slippers yet. Let us know what the made the difference, if you would like to!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did state what I did to make it better in my prior post. Thanks for asking.

10. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Likewise, I am in need of a LARGE slippers patterns. Would you be able to share your complete pattern? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is where I got the pattern and I changed it as my previous post says if you need to make a large mans size

Slipper Socks- Make these in your NFL colors and be the star of the show. These fit Men's Fits shoe sizes 8-12 and Women's Fits shoe sizes 5-10. You'll use worsted weight yarn and your J hook.

The page says that it will fit mens size 12 but when I made them they still seemed small - so that is why I did the changes.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    cvarr Thanks as my son said he will accept my 1 st slipper....Thanks hehe. He usually don't wear them BUT Winter is so COLD here (MN below zero). Thanks Susan MJ