Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  60
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hobbies View Post
    I was working on an afghan for a customer and I got excited that it was nearly done. I worked for an hour straight to progress my work as quick as possible one day, and I got like 6-7 rows finished before I realized that I had made a huge mistake. I cried so hard for that because I lost an hour of work! I took it apart to the mistake {which was super hard to find with the yarn being black}, then I put it down and didn't work on it for the rest of the day or the next day I was so frustrated with it. I don't count my stitches all the time but when I miss a stitch in a large project, I count for a couple of rows then I don't count anymore lol. You'd think we would have learned our lesson by now, but it seems it takes a lot longer, at least for me, to count each stitch while I'm crocheting.
    Wow, I am so sorry that happened to you. I know how you feel. I think we all hate that and it is so depressing. I am self taught and in the beginning I always felt like counting was a waste of time. Like, one step forward and two steps back. But, after my first major disaster, I learned I have to count. I have been at this a lot of years now and I figure if I don’t have time to do it right the first time, I sure as heck don’t have time to do it over. That is also why I do not knit very much. I have an intense personality and I find knitting much too tedious to do over.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

2. Likes Rogue Hobbies, Desertflower liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    when i need to count something i use bobby pins to check every 10 stitches that way i only need to count pins, which helps a lot. i also use different colored bobby pins to work patterns or rows that need something different from what i have been doing.

4. Likes determined_to-crochet, nettielou liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jewel,
    That's a good idea! I don't know what I'd use for a marker, maybe paper clips. Anyways , this last row I did, when I was at the end of the row, I decided to count the stitches. I got about half way or so in counting the stitches and noticed that I had 2 stitches in one of the stitches so I pulled out the yarn on that row up to that point and continued crocheting making sure I had 1 in each stitch. At some point, I counted my stitches(I probably counted more than once) and continued counting as I was crocheting. I counted 224 stitches on the row, not counting the chain as the first stitch but counting the first stitch I did as the first stitch. and then I started my next row but since I can see my last stitch on each row, do I still need to count?

Post Thanks / Like
    i use markers that some out easily not the ones used in knitting as they do not come out easily as i found out on a sweater i made. some how it got entrapped in a stitch so i had to brake it off. the bobby pins are quick and easy to move and count so i use them a lot. a friend found colored one that are longer then most and in colors green,yellow, pink, blue at swap meet craft place and i found silver, gold, brown,and a light brown at the store. i use the normal one not the big wide type as they can be twisted but will fall out if on twisted. good luck with all that counting. a friend made a bracelet that will count rows from 1-99 but i find it too short for long type rows or chains, so i like booby pins for all measuring on rows and chains (put on lowest loop, front or back) this also help when i need to join for a circle.

7. Likes Poinciana liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading this thread, I get you must count no matter how experienced you are. As a definite beginner, I am having trouble with this. I found out even using only 12 stitches on a swatch, that I can come out with uneven edges. I usually try to make a square so I can use the swatch later for a coaster or pad., but I have some odd-edged squares, even counting. The only thing I can do without a problem is a granny square! The first thing I made was a granny triangle scarf, and it came out great! I am struggling with having straight rows.
    If one uses the stitch counter thingies, where do they go? If you are chaining 30, then sc for the first row, does the marker go at the end of your 30 stitches, or do you put them after every 10 stitches, or????
    Does crochet ever become kind of "automatic"? I see ladies who are takling or watching TV when crocheting...I have to keep my eyes on my work, and don't talk to me or I have to start all over.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to refresh after a long break. I just figured out after watching online videos that each row I was increasing 2, that's why I was making a cute little baby bib. ha ha next I tried a sc dec (single crochet decrease) THAT is why I was making a progressive little
    bib. So I will suggest you google stitches you might come across (yarn in hand) and practice a few times! Now I am going back to learn about counting and turning that first row. I feel like it might be coming back to me a little at a time. But oh my I have forgotten a lot, or maybe I didn't learn right in the beginning. One thing for sure I am remembering and that is how much I love crochet. I wish you luck - stay with it, I am here pulling for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know! I'm making a afghan and its a Drop Design pattern I've never had a problem with there patterns. I like all of us have counted and counted and frogged till I have a swam full. I came to a light bulb moment to just work with the one extra stich and make it pretty.
    I'll let you know. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious too. What does frog mean? It's a new term to me. Does it mean to rip out a row & do it over? Someone please help. Thanks. Cricket

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention in the preceding post - I was going for an afghan - NOT a baby bib. This was on a practice swatch. Oh Well !! Keep on truckin, isn't that what "they" say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Cricket, I believe it means rip it until you get the mistake removed and then precede.