Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just below the arm/sleeves it's 6 1/2 inches and I just finished rnd. 14 which is on the skirt part of the dress and it's 12 inches. It's small and the spaces or holes you see in the skirt part of the dress don't line up like the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    It doesn't look the same as the pattern picture.
    Hi Jean Marie, These patterns never do look like the picture. I am currently working on a cute little dress for my grand daughter and I am going to make the same dress for my great niece. I started on the 2T size and the neck hole could fit me. I started over again using a hook 3 size smaller then the pattern called for. When I started over this time I know the stitches and I am just making the number of stitches I need for the size dress I am making. It is hard to go directly by the patterns you get for free. I saw one yesterday where one of the ladies replied to the person that wrote the pattern and told her which rows were incorrect by the number of stitches posted. One row was 86 and jumped to 126 without noting any increases.

I like free patterns but I know they sometimes have faults so I am lucky I can adjust.

You will have to wing it to make it match. Good luck.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so sorry you're having these problems, Jean Marie. I agree with spoula. I'm afraid you have to adjust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jean Marie, I sent you a private message telling you to try the purple dress I sent the pattern to you. It is so pretty I am going to make 2 of them. One for my grand daughter and the other for my great niece. The only advice I have for you is if you make this dress the sizes listed in the pattern seem to run big. I was going to make the 6-12 months size for my niece and the 24 months size for my granddaughter. I ripped out the 24 months one and started over with the 18 month size and it looks like it will fit a 5 year old. I do crochet loose and that could be the problem. I will say the pattern is simple to do and it is a lovely little dress. I can't wait to start over again and finish at least one of them.
    Just so you know this was a free pattern. The written instructions for the top is easy the skirt you will have to look at the video first.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the yarn I have in the house. I didn't have the colors for this dress in the baby yarn so I'm using the premier yarn I have. It's like a pipe cleaner - a string with soft yarn around it. I did 16 rows/rnds. I either added a stitch to make it look better or put more than one stitch in the same space or stitch. I used a H hook for the top and am now using a I hook for the skirt. The pattern says to use smaller hooks but even using larger hooks the dress looks small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Row 17 I crocheted on the inside of the dress so I turned it for rnd. 18 to crochet on the outside of the dress. Row 18, not sure if I'm reading it right; I'm crocheting a dc and a tc v stitch in the same stitch or place and then a dc and a hdc both in the next stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Row 17 I crocheted on the inside of the dress so I turned it for rnd. 18 to crochet on the outside of the dress. Row 18, not sure if I'm reading it right; I'm crocheting a dc and a tc v stitch in the same stitch or place and then a dc and a hdc both in the next stitch.

Hi Jean Marie, I looked at the pattern and you are doing round 18 correctly. I don't understand what you mean by row 17 you crocheted on the inside of the dress and then turned it to crochet on the outside. The pattern looks like you are supposed to crochet in the round so you would always be on the right side no need to switch from inside to outside. Most of the baby dresses work in the rounds on the skirt portion. Anyway looks like you are done and figured it out.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I took out what I had done on rnd 18 and rnd 17. It looks like rnd 16 was crocheted on the inside of the dress but I can't see much difference so I left rnd 16, sl st to beginning, chained 2, turned and started rnd. 17 again because the scallops on rnd 18 were ruffled. So I'm going to put 1 stitch in each one on rnd.17 instead of more than one stitch in the same one. My 1st dc of rnd.17 I put in the same stitch as the sl st and maybe I'll have enough white yarn to finish rnd. 18.

Done with rnd. 17

I started rnd.18 and it looks better than before. I'm going to Maundy Thursday service.
    I'm back at it.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 03-29-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just figured out that I'm crocheting on the inside of the dress again and I'm more than halfway on rnd. 18

I'm going to continue. I'm not taking it out again although when I took it out before I wasn't very far on rnd 18. Oh, and I did run out of white yarn and am using light pink - cotton candy yarn.

I guess putting my crocheting down and then picking it up I can start crocheting the wrong way but maybe I don't have to put it down to start crocheting the wrong way. I finished it except for the button. I put the flower on too. What do you think about putting sleeves on the dress?

The white strip on the dress (as pictured above) is 7 inches across. The bottom of the dress is 18 inches across.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 03-29-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    If it were me making this baby dress I would not make long sleeves or short sleeves. The top bodice where you joined for the skirt is the sleeves. What you could do is to add a little row or 2 of matching shells like the bottom of the dress but not so big and use a smaller hook size. Only if you wanted to increase the length a little bit longer. It is a personal choice of what you like as you are making this dress and you can embellish however you like. Most newborns are usually wrapped up in blankets and spend a lot of time in bed sleeping. At least all of mine did. I think the dress is adorable and the cotton candy color will be cute. Please share a post when you are done.
    Spoula