I'm a Newbie to Crochet Talk, but, an Oldie to crochet. I thought I could follow any crochet pattern (within reason) .... until now. I bought a Vintage 1970's dress pattern on Etsy and it's got me tearing my hair out with every line I read. I going to post an "all points" thread and hope someone can help me. I contacted the seller and (as I suspected) all they do is scan and sell patterns out of magazines that are out of print and know nothing about how to crochet, so that was a dead end. I feel like it can't possibly be so difficult. It looks line a simple Chevron Ripple pattern, but for the life of me, I can't get past the 3rd row. I think the problem is that, #1, unlike most (modern) patterns, it doesn't tell you how many stitches you are supposed to have at the end of each row, (and I can't figure it out myself), #2, the verbiage is foreign to me (assuming "angles" means "corners" and "group" means "cluster") to name a few, and #3, the gauge given is "10 groups of tr and 14 rows = 4 sq inches" but.... the pattern doesn't call for any "tr" treble stitches. Anyone out there feel like a challenge?

HELP! Stymied in Castro Valley-ripple-dress-picture-jpg